Replacing my FX-53... with what?

wazooda

Weaksauce
So... I've had this for 2 years and would like to pump up my CPU power.

Question is... with what?

The FX-53 runs at 2.4ghz.... and the X2 4000+ I believe is the same.

So... outside of dual core goodness (and yes... I realize that is nice), would I see any bump in my gaming?

I really have no need to game AND burn DVD's at the same time.... but if I could get an X2 that would also give me a noticable bump in gaming performance... I'd do it.

Is there such a beast.... or should I just keep the FX-53 at this point??

Currently have an A8N-SLI Premium Motherboard with dual 7800GTX BFG's.

CPU + GPU's are all watercooled.

Thanks for any advice on this

If I were you I wouldn't upgrade the fx-53 is still a good ass CPU and like you said unless you upgrade to dualcores there isn't gonna be a whole lot of performance increase. But if you have to upgrade the x2 4800 and the fx-60 are both good choices.

Two words (UNLOCKED MULTIPLIER) Please see what you can overclock this baby too before you spend money. I just have mine at ~2.6 but it works great and has plenty of power!

Yeah... I thought this might be the case.

So... if a 4800+ runs at 2.4ghz.... and assuming a game is not coded for multi-processors... can I assume I would basically see NO increase in a game's performance running an FX-53 vs. a 4800+?

Granted... there is a lot to be said for the same performance PLUS the ability to be running another processor intensive application simultaneously... but it seems that at least as far as the game is concerned, there would be no material increase in performance.

Am I analyzing this correctly?

Thanks again!

Wazoo

Once multi threading in games become more the norm you will see an improvement however as it stands now - just wait, that processor will do you fine for awhile.

an FX cpu running at 2.4ghz will be just as fast as an X2 at 2.4 in games. Hell, it'd probably be faster... but that's not the point. I HATED windows untill I got my X2. I hated all the dumb hangs, lags and waiting (like, re-drawing a full start menu, cmon!). the X2 changed my life. Hell, before the dual core, I used to be a Mac Zealot ;) (I might still be, but totally not as much). That was a bit of a preechy speech, but honestly, the dual core was the best upgrade I've ever purchased.

Also, an X2 is easily overclocked, so I'm sure you could get it to 2.5 or 2.6, then you'd notice a difference!

Personally? I'd get a 3800, overclock it to 2.4 or 2.5, sell your FX on Ebay, and maybe even pick up another storage HD. You'd see some improvements, maybe not in today's games, but wait a year. You'll never look back.

Keep it, even on HOCP they have an article that shows that once you get to the fx53 level, you will see almost no improvement in game quality. Wait for conroe.

Arcygenical said:
but that's not the point. I HATED windows untill I got my X2. I hated all the dumb hangs, lags and waiting (like, re-drawing a full start menu, cmon!). the X2 changed my life. Hell, before the dual core, I used to be a Mac Zealot ;) (I might still be, but totally not as much). That was a bit of a preechy speech, but honestly, the dual core was the best upgrade I've ever purchased.

Bingo. All people see is "what about my gaming" blah blah..when everyone I know uses their computer for more than JUST gaming. Even if you arent running multithreaded apps, an X2 makes windows slick like butter :D
Until you have one, its hard to appreciate the difference, but if you do any decent amount of multitasking its immediately noticeable.
I guess its up to you to know what you do and how much you do on your own pc.

serbiaNem said:
Keep it, even on HOCP they have an article that shows that once you get to the fx53 level, you will see almost no improvement in game quality. Wait for conroe.

Why wait for a chip that isn't going to show any difference in game quality, either, and then have to drop $400 for a motherboard and ram on top of it?

rcf1987 said:
If I were you I wouldn't upgrade the fx-53 is still a good ass CPU and like you said unless you upgrade to dualcores there isn't gonna be a whole lot of performance increase. But if you have to upgrade the x2 4800 and the fx-60 are both good choices.

I would do the FX-60 since its Dual Core and above 2.4GHz (FX-53- 2.4GHz, maybe you don't want to upgrade and still have the same speeds of your old processor.)

If you want 2.4GHz, a X2 4800+ is good. It would would be like having 2 FX-53s almost.

wazooda said:
Yeah... I thought this might be the case.
So... if a 4800+ runs at 2.4ghz.... and assuming a game is not coded for multi-processors... can I assume I would basically see NO increase in a game's performance running an FX-53 vs. a 4800+?
Am I analyzing this correctly?

Correct, IMO you would not see any increase in game's performance.

You should get a dual core above 2.4GHz :p

I'm sticking with my FX untill conroe hits, who cares about multitasking?
You might wanna consider some high end cooling and start using that multiplier.

Coldmud said:
who cares about multitasking?

a shitload of people, me included. Single cores are coming to an end as anything other than bottom of the barrel budget processors, get used to the idea of it.

mwarps said:
Why wait for a chip that isn't going to show any difference in game quality, either, and then have to drop $400 for a motherboard and ram on top of it?

I probably will show a difference in gameplay. The athlons all use the same architecture, so clockspeed increases will only net small gains. A whole new architecture with greatly increased integer performance will probably start netting gains. And who cares about buying a motherboard and ram if the performance increases much more than a simple cpu upgrade.

serbiaNem said:
I probably will show a difference in gameplay. The athlons all use the same architecture, so clockspeed increases will only net small gains. A whole new architecture with greatly increased integer performance will probably start netting gains. And who cares about buying a motherboard and ram if the performance increases much more than a simple cpu upgrade.

People who don't want to upgrade the mobo/ram/cpu care. Thus this thread.

Coldmud said:
I'm sticking with my FX untill conroe hits, who cares about multitasking?

Hence the "n00b" part of your title
:p

ALOT of us multi task a fair amount....and I bet you do more than you realize.....the fact is you can get a cheaper cpu than an FX that will perform just as good in games, and whip the snot out of the single core FX when an app is multithreaded.

mwarps said:
People who don't want to upgrade the mobo/ram/cpu care. Thus this thread.

Most newer mobos that support an A64 will support the X2 series, some do out of the box, some need a BIOS flash.

TheRapture said:
Hence the "n00b" part of your title
:p

Yeah im a genuine n00b and don't know anything because I just joined here... :rolleyes:

the fact is you can get a cheaper cpu than an FX that will perform just as good in games, and whip the snot out of the single core FX when an app is multithreaded.

Relevance? Since he already owns an FX and all, I would think it's cheaper to stay where he is...

Back