• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Replacing my 2007 rig, please advise

Medal

n00b
Joined
Sep 18, 2016
Messages
33
Hey everyone,

Back in 2007 you all helped me build me rig and it's served me well for gaming and typical web browsing/email etc., but she's getting old and after upgrading only the GPU a couple years back (to the 660 ti) it's time to replace all of her. I've spent the better half of the last 3-4 months looking into "it" and here is the build I've come up with. Again, this is going to be a gaming and typical web browsing/email rig that I will use 8-hours a day as I work from home.

With that said...I currently have the Dell u3011 back from ~2009/10 running at 2560x1600 so I want to crush it minimally at this resolution. However I will be upgrading to a 4k monitor in the months following this new build with either the Acer x34, ASUS pg348q, or Acer XB321HK....so I also want to be able to comfortably run one of those for games with as close to everything on/high. So here is the build I've put together....it seems to me to be able to handle not only the former resolution, but also the latter....I'm just curious if you all think I should wait or not for things like the potential 1080ti or 960 pro? Or would you pull the trigger now and get this as is.....please feel free to let me know ANY changes to this build that you'd recommend as this is about $5,500 as is and for that money I want as much feedback as possible.

Thanks in advance!!!

Case: Phanteks Ethoo Evolve Tempered Glass
Motherboard: ASUS Rampage V Edition 10
PS: Corsair AX1200i
CPU: intel 6850k
GPU: (2x) ASUS 1080 OC
HB SLI Bridge: ASUS ROG 3-way sli bridge (need this one for the spacing I intend for GPUs)
Memory: 64GB (8x8gb) DDR4 3200mhz GSkill Trident Z (timings 14-14-14-34)
SSD for games: Samsung 850 pro 2TB
OS NVMe: Samsung 950 pro 512mb
OS: Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU Cooler: Corsair H115i AIO
Replacing case/radiator fans with these: Corsair ML140 (7 of them...4 for push/pull on front mounted rad, 2 at top of case, 1 at rear)
PS Cables: Red/Black CableMod C-Series Modflex full kit for AX1200i
Keyboard: Corsair gaming K70 LUX RGB with Cherry Mx Brown (my preference)
Mouse: Razor Deathadder Chorma (my preference)
 
Don't see any problem with it, but you're going pretty heavy overkill on... just about everything, really. Nothing wrong with that, of course.
 
I think the MB might be a bit of overkill. It's a nice board, but it's $200 more than it really needs to be IMO.

I'd wait and get the Samsung 960 Pro or EVO if you're buying new. You might consider a 1TB PCIe SSD like the 960 EVO as your main OS and game drive, then get a spinner for media. 2TB SSD are still overpriced I think.

Do you really need 64GB of RAM? 32GB would probably be plenty. How much do you have now and how much do you use on a worst-case scenario?

I'm running a pair of 980ti's now, and I'm giving up on SLI myself in the future. I'd rather spend the cash on a single Titan series card. Too many new games don't support SLI, or if they do, they only have a very small gain. And it's getting worse with every new title. I just don't think SLI has the ROI anymore.
 
Last edited:
I think the MB might be a bit of overkill. It's a nice board, but it's $200 more than it really needs to be IMO.

I'd wait and get the Samsung 960 Pro or EVO if you're buying new. You might consider a 1TB PCIe SSD like the 960 EVO as your main OS and game drive, then get a spinner for media. 2TB SSD are still overpriced I think.

Do you really need 64GB of RAM? 32GB would probably be plenty. How much do you have now and how much do you use on a worst-case scenario?


My thoughts were the 512 950 for OS, Apps, and Steam app...while steam games and other games on the 2TB 850 pro...I'm trying to stay away from spinners altogher as I figured I could with all the current available ssd options. No I flat out do not need that much memory or that great a MB, but as you can see, I typically build a rig and use it for years to come...and this time I can afford a bit of future proofing if there ever was such a thing.

With all that said, do you still think I should wait a couple months? I just dont know if its worth waiting for just the 960 aspect.
 
My thoughts were the 512 950 for OS, Apps, and Steam app...while steam games and other games on the 2TB 850 pro...I'm trying to stay away from spinners altogher as I figured I could with all the current available ssd options. No I flat out do not need that much memory or that great a MB, but as you can see, I typically build a rig and use it for years to come...and this time I can afford a bit of future proofing if there ever was such a thing.

With all that said, do you still think I should wait a couple months? I just dont know if its worth waiting for just the 960 aspect.

I can agree with future-proofing things, but I don't personally think getting that much motherboard will really future-proof you for anything. It has a few more bells and whistles than a typical X99 board, but you can get 90% of that for $200 less. That extra stuff isn't really going to make that system last any longer. The same is true with the RAM. Hell, I have 16GB on my X99 machine, and I rarely come close to using 10GB. I'm all for buying for the future, but don't waste your money on stuff you won't use today, tomorrow, or next year.

It's your cash, if you need a system now, buy one now. If it were me, I'd get the 960 Pro (either 512 or 1TB), they're coming out next week. That's plenty for ME for OS + games, since I only usually have 3-4 games installed at any one time. If you really have to have everything installed all the time, then go with a 960 Pro 512GB for your main drive and get that 850 EVO 2TB. I'd personally rather spend that $600 on getting a small home NAS or something and unload the games you're not playing to that. (and get all the other benefits of a NAS)
 
I can agree with future-proofing things, but I don't personally think getting that much motherboard will really future-proof you for anything. It has a few more bells and whistles than a typical X99 board, but you can get 90% of that for $200 less. That extra stuff isn't really going to make that system last any longer. The same is true with the RAM. Hell, I have 16GB on my X99 machine, and I rarely come close to using 10GB. I'm all for buying for the future, but don't waste your money on stuff you won't use today, tomorrow, or next year.

It's your cash, if you need a system now, buy one now. If it were me, I'd get the 960 Pro (either 512 or 1TB), they're coming out next week. That's plenty for ME for OS + games, since I only usually have 3-4 games installed at any one time. If you really have to have everything installed all the time, then go with a 960 Pro 512GB for your main drive and get that 850 EVO 2TB. I'd personally rather spend that $600 on getting a small home NAS or something and unload the games you're not playing to that. (and get all the other benefits of a NAS)


OK i see what your saying. I didn't realize the 960's where coming out that soon. Other than storage and the memory, anything else you'd change or recommend differently? I know you said the MB is a bit much, what would you recommend in it's place?
 
OK i see what your saying. I didn't realize the 960's where coming out that soon. Other than storage and the memory, anything else you'd change or recommend differently? I know you said the MB is a bit much, what would you recommend in it's place?

Honestly most of the top-end X99 boards are fairly interchangeable. I have an original Asus X99 Pro, and I know the new Broadwell-E versions are nice too (Pro II and Deluxe II). It really depends on the feature set you want regarding wifi/ethernet ports/Thunderbolt/USB ports, etc. Also depends on if you're going for a particular "look" with the board color or LEDs and such. Gigabyte makes nice boards, as does ASRock and MSI.
 
Back
Top