Replacing Intel Q9550 2.83GHz

Yep---What he said..I wouldn't even recommend dual core to mom or pop these days...but whatever floats your boat:)

I would say that Dual Core CPU's will be unnoticeable compared to quad cores but for the money its hard to argue against the performance of the G3258.

Probably you haven't played Dragon Age Inquisition right? or Hitman Absolution? Watch Dogs? or Crysis 3? or Far Cry 3/4? or GTA V? or Shadow of Mordor? or Fallout 4? or The Witcher 3? and a big large list of games..

I play most of those games on a dual core and they are fine. I know they will play better on a quad core but my gaming experience isn't suffering.

lol, so now 20-40 FPS with horrible frame times are playable in those games?. DAI run sub 30s and most of the time and even less than 20 without any decent (<4.5ghz overclock). Watch Dogs at about 35-40 without drive then it will tank the performance to sub 20s (and with a heavy tweaked buffered and pre-rendered to make it smoother and more playable) Hitman absolution and crysis 3 are complete slideshow unplayable. GTA V again 20-40FPS with heavy stuttering driving... the better runner of those games is shadow of mordor and still during heavy action and runs moment it will tank the performance. I know the money is a thing but man, even an i3 (Which its now overclockable with some Z170 boards) offer nigh/day difference just for the use of HyperThreading. no reason to buy anything less than an i3 for gaming really..

I love this thread, and I learned a lot from the different perspectives. Basically, I'm waiting on upgrading my CPU until Star Citizen is released in full, unless there's a new CPU coming out right around the corner at that point.

I would never go down to two cores, and hopefully could afford eight cores when the time is right.

I did get two SSD's (850 EVO's 250GB), for the operating system and the games/ applications. I see that as the best bang for my buck right now. The next will be the GPU, after Pascal comes out and prices drop, then the rest of the rig.

Thanks guys!

Probably you haven't played Dragon Age Inquisition right? or Hitman Absolution? Watch Dogs? or Crysis 3? or Far Cry 3/4? or GTA V? or Shadow of Mordor? or Fallout 4? or The Witcher 3? and a big large list of games..

Man, Dual core sucks for anything more than regular office work, you can say whatever about FramePerSeconds but no about FrameTimes which its the big hurt in Dual Cores, man you won't even be able to launch Far Cry 4. yes, the G3258 its fas for everyday usage but no for really gaming.. I really don't understand why you are so amazed with that chip, why become so fanboy and G3258 defender, have you used any true recent intel quad core chip? I have built around 30+ machines for clients with Pentium Dual Core chips, tested everyone of them, probably I know isn't much what you can do with that oldie GTX 550TI, but any modern GPU even in mid range tiers are seriously bottlenecked in most (if not all) recent and modern games even at 1080P.. the fact that you are way GPU bottlenecked before CPU bottleneck doesn't mean that it will be the same experience with any other guy with a more recent or powerful GPU than what you are using.

If G3258 were only doing break-even compared to Q6600 (stock vs. stock), you would have a point - and that is what I expected to happen. However, that is NOT what is happening; instead, Q6600 is getting waxed - and in the same games (and that includes Crysis 3) - worse, two games I play now I couldn't play on Q6600 at all (Ashes of the Singularity and ANNO 2205) with the same GPU; how the heck do you explain that?

Now Ashes going forward WILL demand a quad-core; so say the developers - I certainly don't expect G3258 to be capable of driving it after 1.0 code gets out the door. And by then I will certainly have upgraded the GPU (for other reasons).

how the heck can I explain that? really? that's easy called 6 generational jumps from Kentsfield up to Haswell which include Nehalem as a major jump from "Core 2", and Sandy Bridge as an even major architectural jump. (Kentsfield, Penryn, Nehalem, Westmere, Sandy Bridge, Ivy Bridge, Haswell)

So are you really being serious comparing a decade old semi-quad(2+2) Q6600 Kentsfield with a newer Haswell Pentium G3258?? great job man, a dual core chip with 2 powerful cores performing better than an old "semi-quadcore" with 2+2 weak cores...

Why not compare that G3258 with on-par generational quad cores, or even dual core + Hyper threading?.. you wanna see it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6LUufXCPDM

Again, I know and I understand, you are GPU limited, and you will be that way before reach what the G3258 can do even at stock.. but with a stronger GPU you would not be saying the same things and wonderful things about that G3258 as you will be in the same situation even with the strongest CPU in the market right now.

how the heck can I explain that? really? that's easy called 6 generational jumps from Kentsfield up to Haswell which include Nehalem as a major jump from "Core 2", and Sandy Bridge as an even major architectural jump. (Kentsfield, Penryn, Nehalem, Westmere, Sandy Bridge, Ivy Bridge, Haswell)

So are you really being serious comparing a decade old semi-quad(2+2) Q6600 Kentsfield with a newer Haswell Pentium G3258?? great job man, a dual core chip with 2 powerful cores performing better than an old "semi-quadcore" with 2+2 weak cores...

Why not compare that G3258 with on-par generational quad cores, or even dual core + Hyper threading?.. you wanna see it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6LUufXCPDM

Again, I know and I understand, you are GPU limited, and you will be that way before reach what the G3258 can do even at stock.. but with a stronger GPU you would not be saying the same things and wonderful things about that G3258 as you will be in the same situation even with the strongest CPU in the market right now.

Q9xxx (like Q8xxx) is maybe half-a-generation newer than Core 2 - in fact, it's a second-generation Core 2. Basically, the same comparison with Q6xxx applies, as it's nearly as far behind. I am not saying that G32xx is the equivalent of the same-generation i5 - that WOULD be silly. However, what is the PRICE difference between G3258 and the locked Haswell i5, let alone the i5-K? Spending the difference must be worthwhile to the purchaser - all too often, it isn't (because the applications or games don't play to that higher-end hardware). I am still admittedly GPU-limited; however, that is because my display (the second-oldest external component of my system) is itself a limiting factor - purchasing a new GPU, only to be held back by the display it is connected to, would ALSO be silly. In other words, I should upgrade the display prior to upgrading the GPU; then, and only after doing ALL of that, should I consider another CPU upgrade.

Also, there is the real possibility that a stronger GPU would swing the balance back the other way (going from GPU-limited to CPU-limited) - that is, in fact, all too likely with DX12 in the future (Ashes of the Singularity itself is plenty of data, even though it is still in beta).

Lastly, there is the issue of whether DX12 *itself* is worth it (in terms of development efforts) to take advantage of - has or has there NOT been mounting pressure to stay put merely in terms of development efforts in terms of gaming? (And not JUST because it would basically be promoting Windows 10 - which is the only OS that will support it.) Ashes of the Singularity looks darn good running in DX11 (even on DX12-ready hardware) - and I'm not the only person saying so. And Ashes is an outlier - it's a bleeding-edge game - designed AS a bleeding-edge game. However, back things down to "ordinary person" levels (quite easy - simply swap the DX12 executable for the DX11 executable) and what do you lose? (The jury is still out - the current state of the game - both DX11 and DX12 - is still in flux; DX12 is buggier than DX11 at this point - however, that is all that can be said.) For me as a user, Windows 10 isn't about DX12 - too little in terms of even gaming will take advantage of that API merely in 2016. Windows 10 is about the hardware I use today, the applications and games I run today, and the stability and performance thereof - nothing more or less.

I went with G3258 as a "placeholder" CPU - my planned target was when I bought it (and still is today) the i5-4670K. However, what has me in stall mode is just HOW capable G3258 is - it is certainly a lot more capable - even stock - than I expected. That is why I'm singing the praises of G3258 today (and why I sang the praises of E3400 two CPUs ago) it performs above what is expected of it - and by a rather large margin, and especially for its price.

Originally my G3258 was a placeholder for the 5670 or 5770. Those seem to be a limit release and won't ever hit in mass anymore. :(

Originally my G3258 was a placeholder for the 5670 or 5770. Those seem to be a limit release and won't ever hit in mass anymore. :(

You can pick up a 2670 V1, socket 2011, for a hundred bucks. Slap two of them in a 2P system and it would be even better!

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
You can pick up a 2670 V1, socket 2011, for a hundred bucks. Slap two of them in a 2P system and it would be even better!

few problems with that idea: The mother board and memory prices would be stupid and it won't be any better than buying an over priced Broadwell CPU for day to day tasks (it would actually be slower).

Now if you were talking for a home lab, I'd agree, great buys to be had with those things flooding the market. I have one on the way for $80 and no MB yet, waiting for one to drop that I want for sub $200 before I'll bite.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back