• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Replacing graphics card for original NCASE M1

charww

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 6, 2013
Messages
139
I'm going to replace the GTX 760 (blower style) video card in my original NCASE M1 with a GTX 1060. I have two fans mounted on the side that blow air into the case. Not seeing a lot of blower-style cards on the market, so am considering one of these:

EVGA 1060 SC
ZOTAC 1060 SC Mini

Will I have a problem with these overheating?
Do I need to install additional fans for exhaust?
Should I stick to a blower-style?

Thanks for the help!


PS... I found these similar threads, but didn't feel confident that I could parse out answers to the above questions.
https://hardforum.com/threads/blower-coolers.1946924/#post-1043292174
https://hardforum.com/threads/which-gtx-1070-for-an-ncase-m1.1930750/
 
I'm going to replace the GTX 760 (blower style) video card in my original NCASE M1 with a GTX 1060. I have two fans mounted on the side that blow air into the case. Not seeing a lot of blower-style cards on the market, so am considering one of these:

EVGA 1060 SC
ZOTAC 1060 SC Mini

Will I have a problem with these overheating?
Do I need to install additional fans for exhaust?
Should I stick to a blower-style?

Thanks for the help!


PS... I found these similar threads, but didn't feel confident that I could parse out answers to the above questions.
https://hardforum.com/threads/blower-coolers.1946924/#post-1043292174
https://hardforum.com/threads/which-gtx-1070-for-an-ncase-m1.1930750/

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814126115
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA22F5DU1112

These are both reference style 1060 6GB. A reference style card works best in the Ncase because it exhausts heat out of the back of the case, you see alot of people that won't use them due to heat and noise. I personally use a reference card because it doesn't add heat to the case and increase temps of my CPU.
 
Thought I'd post a brief follow-up report on what I did, in case it is helpful to anyone else searching through the forums on this topic.

This post testing fan positions in the NCASE M1 was *extremely* helpful. Big thanks and shout out to that poster. The attached gallery was super helpful as well.

I purchased the gigabyte GTX 1060 mini open air gpu.
Installed two Noctua NF-A12x15 slim intake fans in the bottom of the case.
Installed one Noctua NF-A9 exhaust fan at the rear of the case.
I did not modify my CPU cooler, which is just the stock intel cooler.
End result: Much quieter than my old reference/blower GPU. Max temps under load: CPU 62C, GPU 73C. Idle temps for both ~34C. Very happy with the results.

A little more detail:
Deconstructing a GPU, like the testing poster did, was more complexity than I wanted to undertake. So I chose a GPU with card fans that worked in a compatible direction to the bottom case intake fans.
The three noctua fans draw less power than the two side intake fans (Coolink) I previously had installed. So I just used a splitter and connected all three fans to the one fan header on my MB. Seems to work just fine.
 
Back
Top