replacing fan on ax850

NotJay

2[H]4U
i believe fan on my ax850 is failing and i think i'm gonna replace on my own
does any1 have experience replacing fan on this unit or psu in general?
what are the things i need to watch out before i proceed and which fan do you recommend for replacement?
thanks in advance

Dude, send the unit into Corsair. It's covered by a 5 year warranty...

I know it's fun to do things like replacing fans yourself sometimes, but why void the warranty on such a pricey piece of equipment? Corsair's RMA department is great and they will either replace the PSU altogether or replace the fan at the very least, and it won't void the warranty.

I know that it sucks being without a PSU for a couple weeks while you wait for the RMA, but you could borrow one or buy a cheapie to use as a temporary.

I have replaced PSU fans before, and it's a lot easier than most people are led to believe, but it is still dangerous. Those caps can hold a good bit of juice, so don't touch them.

I used an Antec Tri-Cool fan with a molex connector so that I had some control once the PSU was in place, since replacing the fan will likely screw up the onboard PWM controls. Most of the time I ran the fan on medium, but occaisonally I flipped it to high if I was planning to game a marathon session.

Take out the four screws holding the cover on and remove it, remove the four screws from the fan grill and release the fan, replace with fan of choice, run power cable out a corner that is not the exhaust side and not near anything hot (make sure fan airflow direction matches original fan) and secure using the reverse method of releasing fan and grill. Cut old fan power cables and insulate them; I used electrical tape and shrink tubing. Gently put power supply back together, making sure you don't cut the new power cable and connect the fan to one of the power supply's molex connectors.

Fairly simple process, just use common sense running the power cable and you'll be fine. If you're worried about touching something you're not supposed to, wear latex or nitrile gloves (NOT A GROUNDING STRAP).

Last edited:
Back