Replacing Domain controller with something more lightweight

FRAGMAN BOB

Limp Gawd
We have a remote site with ~5 users, 4 IP phones and a network printer. Right now we have an old Win2003 box serving as the DC for that site. It is connected back to us via 10MB layer 3 routing on a HP 5500G-EL switch. This windows server is getting quite old and I'd like to avoid the expense of buying a new server just to hand out addresses and authenticate users.
How do you all handle login authentication,dns,and DHCP for your lightweight remotes sites?

seems like this would be a good situation for a server core install on the existing HW running your 2k3 box. If security is a concern maybe look into deploying a RODC.

seems like this would be a good situation for a server core install on the existing HW running your 2k3 box. If security is a concern maybe look into deploying a RODC.

Id say do an RODC.

I should've expressed this better but we will be removing the existing server and am looking for options in replacement. Id rather not have to buy a brand new server just to run server core, if I don't have to

I use an ASA for a few users, so the firewall DHCP server is probably a good way to go or pass the DHCP requests back to the datacenter.

For 5 users, just use a network device for DHCP/DNS locally and forward DNS to your primary DNS servers.

If the site link is down, 5 users should have no trouble using cached credentials to login still as far as AD is concerned.

As Jay said, an ASA can do this. Have it pass DHCP/DNS and you are set.
And as Grentz said, if the link goes down, those 5 users can still sign in with cached creds. Shouldn't be too much of a hiccup.

Thanks for the recommendations. I think our existing HP switch does DHCP too. I'll look into that possibility.

We have a remote site with ~5 users, 4 IP phones and a network printer. Right now we have an old Win2003 box serving as the DC for that site. It is connected back to us via 10MB layer 3 routing on a HP 5500G-EL switch. This windows server is getting quite old and I'd like to avoid the expense of buying a new server just to hand out addresses and authenticate users.
How do you all handle login authentication,dns,and DHCP for your lightweight remotes sites?

A 10MB link for the site? Junk the server, configure DHCP relays, and let another DC authenticate for the site.

A 10MB link for the site? Junk the server, configure DHCP relays, and let another DC authenticate for the site.

Correct, its a 10MB WAN connection from our router at the main site to the one switch at that remote site.

^ This.

We just use dhcp relay to our main dhcp server and point them to the main DNS site.

Not worth all the hassle of setting up other equipment for less than 10 devices....

Your layer 3 should be able to handle all this routing, DHCP helper IP to your DHCP server to consolidate your scopes into one box, then DNS pointing to your main site DNS servers

Back