Replacing display speakers

cj3waker

2[H]4U
I have an Acer T232HL and it has terrible speakers. I've torn into the back and it looks like there is plenty of room to upgrade the internal speakers.

So, has anybody done this? and can anyone recommend some nicer ones to throw in? Some nice tv speakers with a little bass response would be great

"tv speakers with a little bass response" is a misnomer. The cheapest bookshelf speakers + lepai amp (total ~$50) would give you sound quality above the best built-in tv speakers.

guys, I appreciate the suggestions but this is basically a homebuilt all in one, so internal speakers are key. I was just hoping I would be able to replace the terrible factory ones

guys, I appreciate the suggestions but this is basically a homebuilt all in one, so internal speakers are key. I was just hoping I would be able to replace the terrible factory ones

They're terrible because the drivers are tiny, and they're tiny because there's no space inside a monitor bezel or a television to fit larger speakers. That's why built-in speakers are universally bad.

Do they (TV manufacturers) even bother to have two (high+low frequency) drivers per each channel?

On top of that, they fire down (pun intended), not towards the listener. I wonder how long would it take for some "innovator" to put speakers on top of TV set orienting them toward the ceiling and declare them "Dolby Atmos Comparable" (TM).

My new acer 4k use laptop size speaker that are facing back and develop a buzz w.e they are on. I unplug them totally. And for some reason it have a 3.5mm port for audio in not out , what the.....

... And for some reason it have a 3.5mm port for audio in not out , what the.....

Crossover 404K also has 3.5mm RCA port marked in. However, if I channel audio via Display port (or HDMI) then this RCA port actually outputs analog audio which can be connected to headphones, for example. The situation is reminiscent of PC audio where 3.5mm RCA ports assignments are totally flexible, and OS actually asks you what device did you just plugged in.

You have a little bit more homework to do before ordering anything. You have to figure out how many ohms the factory speakers are first (4ohm, 8ohm, etc etc). Then you have to figure out the speaker size and speaker depth to make sure your new speakers will fit. Then you have to figure out if your new speakers are meant for tiny enclosures (some are meant to be installed in large enclosures to sound properly).

And even if you figure all of that out beforehand, you still may not end up with speakers that sound better than what you currently have. Nowadays many of these small, factory installed full range drivers are good quality, they just sound like crap due to their cheap amp or due to them being installed inside a tiny internal enclosure.

If you'd like to do this for fun, and don't mind risking some of your time and cash, then go for it.

You'll want to sift through anything labeled "full range", just make sure all of the other parameters i listed above are correct: https://www.parts-express.com/cat/hi-fi-woofers-subwoofers-midranges-tweeters/13

Back