Replacing DFI NF4 SLI-D Backplate Question with Pics

NACZ3

Gawd
I'm trying to install an Alpha 8150 that uses custom screws to screw into a standard AMD design backplate to apply the right amount of spring force to the CPU.

I have an DFI NF4 SLI-D. DFI has it's own backplate design for how the HSF retention frame screws into the back. In the future, I plan on watercooling the rig and may run into the same problem but at least I could get longer screws but with the Alpha, I'm stuck. The frame also has a cutout area to accomodate resistors/circuity that is on the opposite side of the board (outlined by yellow box in the pic).
nobackplate3cb.jpg

I went out to Microcenter and bought a standard AMD design bracket by Evercool but it comes in contact with some of the resistors. The DFI Backplate is the yellow one and the standard design is the black one in the pics.

sidebyside2zk.jpg

sideview0sw.jpg

dficloseup8jk.jpg

A metal backplate would contact also. I'm worried about using the standard backplate in case it crushes the resistors once spring force is applied using either the Alphas or a waterblock. I'm also worried about the stress on the socket area due to the weight of the heatsink if the backplate isn't sitting flush with the back of the motherboard

Here are some pics of both backplates put on the MB
dfibackplate0fd.jpg

aftermarket4ra.jpg

Has anyone replaced the DFI's backplate with a standard one without crushing these resistors?

Do the screws for the backplate have 6-32 threads?

Thanks.

If you are scared of crushing/breaking anything on the underside of your mobo I would highly suggest you get a sheet of thin neoprene and put it between the backplate and your motherboard. Over 25 PSI on my dfi nf4 when I OC it and with the neoprene on the back the resistors are fine.

^^^Thanks. I was able to buy some new screws and washers at home depot to mount it correctly now.

Back