Replacing CM Hyper EVO 212

ragnarz

Weaksauce
I am currently running an i5 4670k @ 4100. It has been working well but some new games are challenging it to keep things frosty. I am considering a Noctua d14 for my mid-tower case. It hits my price point at ~$65USD, Wondering if anyone has any suggestions or knows of a good black friday deal on cooling?

Thanks for your time!

The 212 EVO is fairly good, sure you can do better but the laws of diminishing returns start to kick in.

I don't think you can do a major improvement without going AiO liquid cooling.

The 212 EVO is fairly good, sure you can do better but the laws of diminishing returns start to kick in.

I don't think you can do a major improvement without going AiO liquid cooling.

I hear that. I have never used liquid. Any recommendations for a AIO 120mm solution?

What are your current idle and load temps?

What case? What's your case fan set-up?

Are you currently using 1 or 2 fans on the CM Hyper Evo 212?

Lastly, what TIM and have you tried re-doing it?

What are your current idle and load temps?

What case? What's your case fan set-up?

Are you currently using 1 or 2 fans on the CM Hyper Evo 212?

Lastly, what TIM and have you tried re-doing it?

Fans are setup as foillows:
Intake through a filter on the bottom of the case, no fan
Outake through the top and the back, both with 120mm fans (corsair sp120 quiet edition)

Only using single standard fan on the 212. I was going to swap it with a noctua NF-A15 pwm 150mm fan I have but the is just no clearance for it.

Not sure what TIM is but deduce you mean thermal paste. Using CM labeled "high performance" paste and I cleaned and replaced the compound 6 months ago when I did some work on the machine.

EDIT

BPqKaLg.png

as far as aio's go, a h60 is aboot on par with a 212 evo. so you need a fatter 120mm or 240+ to see any worth while improvement. if you want to stick to air, try the reeven justice. according to [H] and a few others, its on par with some 240mm aio's.

I would go with this boy and call it a day TRUE 140 Power no need for anything bigger. you will be likely more cooling performance restraint by the crappy TIM used in those 4670K and 4770K.. deliding is basically a must in those chips you will be improving your temps a lot, Those temps are too high for an i5 at just 4.1ghz which is achievable basically at stock volts or even undervolting..

I would go with this boy and call it a day TRUE 140 Power no need for anything bigger. you will be likely more cooling performance restraint by the crappy TIM used in those 4670K and 4770K.. deliding is basically a must in those chips you will be improving your temps a lot, Those temps are too high for an i5 at just 4.1ghz which is achievable basically at stock volts or even undervolting..

The Hyper EVO 212 is 116 x 51 x 159 mm
The True Power is 155 x 53.4 x 171.2 mm

Appears to be too tall to fit (

BTW, what is a TIM?

VCORE was defaulting to 1.224v. I will try dropping that a bit to see if there is a measurable difference.

TIM = Thermal Interface Material i.e. thermal paste/padding.

I went with the Reeven Justice and temps fell across all cores by 8 degrees recorded maximum running the same processes as reported in the image above. Idle temps dropped an average of 9.5 degrees. I am a little impressed with this cooler. That said the mounting hardware requires a long narrow Phillips screw driver. You actually run the driver through the heating fins to connect it with the base plate. Not the worst engineering but it took me over 25 minutes to finally make the connection and I had to buy a new driver just for this.

That said the mounting hardware requires a long narrow Phillips screw driver. You actually run the driver through the heating fins to connect it with the base plate. Not the worst engineering but it took me over 25 minutes to finally make the connection and I had to buy a new driver just for this.
thats about the worst complaint ive heard about it so that's pretty good! thnx again for the before/afters. I'm sure it will help others with their buying decisions.

Back