Replacing Cable Modem

mpic92

Limp Gawd
I have a Gateway (modem/router) provided from Comcast. However, I'm not convinced that this is the best device to have to hook up to the internet.

Do you think it would be any faster if I got rid of it and got a nice Motorola cable modem? Is it worth it? Also, what process do you have to go through to replace your modem?

Is Comcast local at all?

I have Bright house as the local cable provider. I just bring it to the office and ask for a new one. No lies, no anything. In fact, mine is over a year old, SA Webstar. They must have better / newer modems now, so tomorrow, I am going to Bright house and see.

I have a Gateway (modem/router) provided from Comcast. However, I'm not convinced that this is the best device to have to hook up to the internet.

Do you think it would be any faster if I got rid of it and got a nice Motorola cable modem? Is it worth it? Also, what process do you have to go through to replace your modem?

Well in my case I needed to replace my RR supplied Toshiba with a Motorola. I got a laptop that I am running Linux. The Toshiba doesnt support Linux, so I replaced it.

All I had to do was hookup the Motorola, then call RR. For the new modem to work they need the modems MAC address (which is labeled on the modem). RR sent me a pre-paid label so I could send their modem back to them.

On average how much would you say a cable modem affects download speeds? Is it worth it buying a different modem from the one supplied? I've been running a Terayon TJ715 that I purchased when I first picked up adelphia cable about 2 years ago now.

I'm unable to find any specs on what d/l speeds it suports but I'm sure it will do my ISP's rated max. Just wondering if some modems may have better throughput or handle multiple connections better?

On average how much would you say a cable modem affects download speeds? Is it worth it buying a different modem from the one supplied? I've been running a Terayon TJ715 that I purchased when I first picked up adelphia cable about 2 years ago now.

I'm unable to find any specs on what d/l speeds it suports but I'm sure it will do my ISP's rated max. Just wondering if some modems may have better throughput or handle multiple connections better?

Thats exactly what I'm wondering.

I believe it is worth it. I have RR and they charge me a "rental fee" for the use of their Motorola modem...generally 3 bucks or so.
I went and bought a motorola 4200 (nothing fancy) for 5 bucks on Craigslist. So after 2 months, I'm coming out ahead of the game. I also unsubscribed from getting the TV Guide thing from RR too...that shaved cost as well.

But if you have your own router, go buy a modem and call up your provider and say that you are changing out the hardware. You know you'll have internet for years..and at 3 bucks a month, eventually it will add up. I think it is worth the cost.

The questions about Modem throughput intrigue me!

Hmmm....

I mean I pay $15 extra a month for MAX potential bandwidth on RR - 15mb/s - not that I ever see that speed, but having the higher potential bandwidth also bumps your up pipe from 320kbs to 2mbs, and THAT does help.

I mean I recently upgraded my crappy 5 yo Linksys to a D-Link DGL 4300 to increase my though put. And it has helped.

I went to bright House yesterday as I mentioned above to get a new modem; they didnt have any in stock, but I have a appointment with a tech coming out to my house next Saturday to replace it, and the SA 8300HD DVR Cable box as well, and my intentions are to bribe him if possible to thoroughly test my connection. If I have to pay to have them replace my drop from the over head lines, then so be it! the fastest connection I have ever tested at is 7 Mb/s, which is half of my paid for potential. Now, i totally understand with cable, I am shareing the local "backbone" of the main connect to the their most local router, but just the same, i want to KNOW I am at least getting the service I am paying for. That, and Verizon is heading this way with FioS, promising a 15Mbs pipe as well. So, considering i pay my cable provider apprx. $180 a month..( RR at max, Voip, and All the pay channels in HD, ) they need to respect my Authoritay! /flex LOL

To the best of my knowledge, no one has tested throughput on cable Modems, in the way that tom's tested throughput on routers. Lots of variables involved to be sure, but regardless, it's just another device in the pipe that I potentially can exercise some power over, so hate just "trusting" The provider has me with the best they can. i want to KNOW!

I read that with docsis compliant modems your service provider actually downloads a ruleset to the modem limiting bandwidth etc.

To me that seems that unless your cable modem is particularly crappy you wouldn't notice any increase in performance from one modem to another.

Then again maybe it's worth it to get a modem that is more up to date since mine is just docsis 1.0. Unfortunately I don't trust my ISP's tech support to actually be able to answer my questions regarding this.

Whether your will notice a speed increase is subjective. What you will get is freedom from the monthly rental fee most ISPs charge. You'll also get the freedom to know that you're up-to-date as far as future-proofing is concerned and the comfort of knowing that you're browsing on quality equipment. That's pretty much it.

With that said, I always recommend people purchase their own equipment rather than "rent" from the company.

I work for one of the above mentioned ISPs and trust me when i say this.

It is rare that your modem will affect your speed. The speed of a HFC network is well in excess of what your ISP allows your modem to use. No matter if you buy your modem or you get one from your ISP it is throttled to allow the most people on that section of network while giving all of thsoe customers a industry comparable speed. If you want faster speed, buy a faster service.

There are some exceptions but as a whole this will always hold true.

With that said, I always recommend people purchase their own equipment rather than "rent" from the company.

before you heed this advice check with your ISP. Laws have been passed that require a ISP to allow a subscriber to use their own modem (as long as it is a model that is supported) but the cost benefit may not be substatial.

In my local case we would comp your bill 2 bucks a month. Considering modems range from 50-100 bucks its not a huge benefit to own. Especially when you consider the cost of replacement if it ever gets zapped or breaks..

Regardless of whether that's a bit tainted with marketing, it's definitely good advice to check with your provider first! :) Comcast charges $5 a month extra here in order to provide me with a modem. I've had this Motorola now for over three years and I've more than made back the money I spent on it. I have a standard lightning arrestor / grounding block outside and have never had an instance of a strike making it inside.

I've been burned and seen friends being burned too many times by the provider when it comes to modems and equipment. If I can get my own, I will and I recommend that others do the same because of my experience.
Orinthical said:
Why the "trust the cable company" line doesn't work on me:

One of the first and worst cases was that my cable modem decided to stop locking down. It took six repair guys, quite a few trips up the pole, two network technicians, three modems and a particularly offensive installer to finally find the issue. New cable run form the pole, new ground wires installed, new splitters, techs claiming the signal was too high... techs claiming the signal was too low... techs installing gain dampeners and drilling holes in my house over a month long period. There were still three or so holes in that house that I had to fill myself since they just left with them still there.

The issue? The cable modem was so old it wasn't compatible with the service anymore. They finally replaced it with a newer model and all was well.

And why might you ask did it take this long? Because the company never listens to its customers, even when they demonstrate they know what's going on. I had the dang press release and modem spec sheet in my hand... the morbidly obese, pajama-wearing rather smelly fellow just looked at me, laughed and walked out the door to get another of the same model modems from his trunk.

Another, albeit shorter, scenario: I move into my current house. Cable was installed a while ago but it isn't working. There was some water work done so the county workers probably broke the line somewhere. My provider comes out and "installs" a new run for me... by laying indoor grade RG59 cable from the pole, along the ground, around my house and into my basement. The person left saying it would be buried by another team. It never was. It took over two months and me calling a regional rep to finally get them to come out, replace the cable with properly rated cable and bury it.
But hey...

Always check with your local provider first. Get the list of modems they recommend/allow and make sure you are clear with them on how you want to proceed. You'll need to call them once you have the modem as well as most providers will need to add your new modem's MAC address to the ACL.

And don't even get me started about DSL! :D

Orinthical : im not trying to market anything. Im a tech and not a marketer. if i was in this forum to make a profit i would be pushing some specific product and not just giving some generic advice. And yes i have no doubt MANY people have gotten a hold of a tech on the line who had no idea how to help somebody.... and on behalf of us good ones im sorry.

but hey, if you choose not to beleive me then by all means buy your own equipment. but listen, I've dealt with 10s of thousands of cable modem users.... how many have you seen? A dozen maybe more... Take my word for it a new modem that you purchased does very little for you that one from your ISP will.

However that being said go spend your hard earned money cause your ISP cares very little if you own your own modem. From a personal stand point i love it when a subscriber calls in because there house was hit by lightning and their cable modem is fried. I love saying "im sorry mr so and so but we dont support any hardware that you did not obtain from your service providor. Try calling bestbuy as they may replace it for you"...

My own personal opinion....

Perhaps a better option would be to tell them: "I'm sorry to hear that Sir and unfortunately our policy doesn't allow us to replace equipment you own, however we can replace the modem with one of ours for $2.00 a month. That way, if this happens again, we'll replace the modem for you."

As for the rest, I didn't claim there would be a speed benefit - I stated that if there is one, it's subjective and therefore will vary from person to person. Furthermore, I am quite sure you've answered more calls than I have about cable modems. I'm not a support tech for a cable company. I did however work my way up through the years from a support tech for the government to a systems engineer and now a systems integration consultant. I'm sure I could tell you more about that world than you could shake a stick at... so don't get all huffy, I never insulted you or your knowledge of the subject matter.

Back to the OP's question. I have never been a fan of all-in-one devices so it may be beneficial to get rid of the modem/router combo unit you have. Check with your ISP first, perhaps they have a modem you could get instead and then just upgrade your router. If you do decide to replace your modem, heed the advice of this thread and check with your provider first; they may only allow certain brands or models and will most certainly have a list they prefer. Also, check how much it would save you a month. If it's worth it, go for the upgrade. If it's not, let them deal with it...

The all-in-one devices I have seen in the past (Linksys) were junk. They're fine for the average user who is just checking email or playing the occasional game but if you're a guy like me with a dozen computers in his house, you may want to consider replacing it.

I have a Surfboard SB4100 it is the same modem they gave me when I got RR in 2001you think I should ask them for a newer version or is this one still okay?

I'd pickup a Motorola Sufboard 5120...seems to be the preferred modem for Comcast. The 5100 series also.

They're cheap enough, you can pick them up brand new, sealed in the box, under 70..even under 60 bucks, on eBay.

Their techs never have a problem with them...simply plug it in....call up their tech support, and ask them to provision it. As soon as you plug it in..it'll pickup an IP address from Comcast..but only one of their internal IPs that captive portals you to their software download site..just ignore it. They'll ask you to read them the MAC on the modem. Within 10 minutes..he'll have shoved the config file to it..ask you to power cycle the modem..and BAM...you'll be online with a full public IP address. You are good to go.

Because of Comcasts "Powerboost" feature...I'm not sure of what other 3rd party modems fully support this bursting...I'm not even sure if the older 4x00 series Surfboards do. Might be worth a call to them to ask, or, if someone here can confirm they can burst past 20 megs on w/Powerboost on their older models.

The data sheet for the SB4100 states a maximum downstream data rate of 38Mbps and an upstream rate of 10Mbps. It is DOCSIS 1.0/1.1 compliant. It's a bit older but should be able to handle features like "PowerBoost" for a little while. Upgrading would future-proof you against the move to DOCSIS 2.0, which is probably still a ways off.

on this note, Verizon is coming to my area with FoiS. Is anyone here familiar with it?

Once again, I'm pretty sure that my modem isn't the bottleneck for me. More likely, the amount of users on this group, or the crappy old wiring from the light pole.

However, I do pay the extra amount as a FULL subscriber; I have all 3 cable services HD TV, RR, and Voip, I pay an additonal $15 for their stated max potential... 15mbs. I understand that it's only potential, but I am not convinced that my connection is even capable of attaining what I pay for, modem, and wiring considered.

So, once again, Saturday, I have a local provider tech coming to replace my modem, and HD DVR box. I wish it were easy to find a tech that would bother to listen to my desire, and verify for me, that indeed, my connect is capable, however, like a poster above speaks to, they are always in a rush, seem little interested in my concerns, and merely check for the most basic of things. However, I pay for advanced, and expect advanced support.

Is FioS, a full dedicated 15mbs connect? or is that shared as well. hmmm... hard to get real answers when all parties involved have a selfish perspective to the answer.

It depends on the speed of your cable connection.

When I had 5mbit service, the (self-purchased) Motorola SB4120 was fine.

However, when I upgraded to 15mbit service, the SB4120 was no longer useable as it taps out at 5mbit.

I purchased a Motorola SB5120 that can handle upwards of 33mbit/sec.

If your current modem can handle the thru-put, I see no need to change it.

You didn't mention your current modem, but if it is an older modem, such as a Motorola SB4120, it will not pass your 15mbit/sec speeds. They tap out at around 5mbit/sec.

You need a Motorola SB5120. It can pass upwards of 33mbit/sec.

The DGL-4300 was a good choice. It is one of the fastest routers available, and can pass in excess of 90mbit/sec wan-to-lan.

I've been through this exact scenerio myself :)

The questions about Modem throughput intrigue me!

Hmmm....

I mean I pay $15 extra a month for MAX potential bandwidth on RR - 15mb/s - not that I ever see that speed, but having the higher potential bandwidth also bumps your up pipe from 320kbs to 2mbs, and THAT does help.

I mean I recently upgraded my crappy 5 yo Linksys to a D-Link DGL 4300 to increase my though put. And it has helped.

I went to bright House yesterday as I mentioned above to get a new modem; they didnt have any in stock, but I have a appointment with a tech coming out to my house next Saturday to replace it, and the SA 8300HD DVR Cable box as well, and my intentions are to bribe him if possible to thoroughly test my connection. If I have to pay to have them replace my drop from the over head lines, then so be it! the fastest connection I have ever tested at is 7 Mb/s, which is half of my paid for potential. Now, i totally understand with cable, I am shareing the local "backbone" of the main connect to the their most local router, but just the same, i want to KNOW I am at least getting the service I am paying for. That, and Verizon is heading this way with FioS, promising a 15Mbs pipe as well. So, considering i pay my cable provider apprx. $180 a month..( RR at max, Voip, and All the pay channels in HD, ) they need to respect my Authoritay! /flex LOL

To the best of my knowledge, no one has tested throughput on cable Modems, in the way that tom's tested throughput on routers. Lots of variables involved to be sure, but regardless, it's just another device in the pipe that I potentially can exercise some power over, so hate just "trusting" The provider has me with the best they can. i want to KNOW!

It depends on how much your cable co charges for the rental.

Mine charges $15 a month, so the $50 I paid for the SB5120 was paid for in 3.5 months.

If it ever dies, I'll just go grab another one.

-Larry

before you heed this advice check with your ISP. Laws have been passed that require a ISP to allow a subscriber to use their own modem (as long as it is a model that is supported) but the cost benefit may not be substatial.

In my local case we would comp your bill 2 bucks a month. Considering modems range from 50-100 bucks its not a huge benefit to own. Especially when you consider the cost of replacement if it ever gets zapped or breaks..

I can tell you for a fact that the SB4120 can NOT handle a 15mbit/sec cable connection, regardless of what the specs say. It taps out at around 5mbit/sec.

Been there :)

The SB5120 can.

The data sheet for the SB4100 states a maximum downstream data rate of 38Mbps and an upstream rate of 10Mbps. It is DOCSIS 1.0/1.1 compliant. It's a bit older but should be able to handle features like "PowerBoost" for a little while. Upgrading would future-proof you against the move to DOCSIS 2.0, which is probably still a ways off.

TechLarry said:
You didn't mention your current modem, but if it is an older modem, such as a Motorola SB4120, it will not pass your 15mbit/sec speeds. They tap out at around 5mbit/sec.

O, sorry, it's a SA Webstar, DPX2203 series with EMTA

It has the phone jack on it, as I mentioned I use the cable Provider's ( Bright House Networks in Tampa FL ) Voip as well.

It doesn't provide router functionality per se, although I imagine the integrated RJ45 must mean it connects through some sort of integrated routing as well.

Interesting update...
so, Bright house tech arrived as schedualed yesterday. He did replace the modem, but said he didnt think there was a difference..its another SA Webstar, newer model though. DPX2203C.

He checked my signal strength. Said it was a +6 which is within their tolerances, the reange veing 1-10.

one good thing, he was a young guy, and a pc gamer, so when he walked in and saw my completely new set up

TheNewHAWTNESSthostillmessy.jpg

he was like OMGZ! And I think he went the extra mile for me. He did check with the office, and I think maybe somehow I had lost my flag for 15mbs, because i test out on a pipe from Tampa to Atlanta at 11,523 bps! Now thats a lot better than the 5436bps I was getting :p

w00t

Back