• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Replacing a power supply fan

Joined
Dec 18, 2005
Messages
36
I think one of the fans in my power supply is going out but the PS itself (Enermax EG465P) has been good to me so I'd like to just replace the fan. Is this difficult or does it rquire any specific skills. I've never opened a power supply but I'm computer savvy (above average) and have built PC's and replaced component etc. Any advice on a replacement fan or whether I should even try it?
 
1) unplug it, then let it sit for a day or three.
2) Open it up, but be careful not to touch the heatsinks anyways
3) remove fan
4) ghetto-force 3-pin fan connector through a grill (I just snipped part of mine out) or solder the wires to the 2-pin connector.
5) close it back up, and you're good to go.

I used a pair of Panaflo L1 80mm fans to replace the fans in my Powerstream unit, and hooked them up to Zalman FANMATE2 controllers and run them at 10.5V

Air out back feels a bit warmer than what it used to be when it's pulling 240W, but it isn't anything the power supply is incapable of handling.
 
Back
Top