replacing 8 year old pc for guests

goodrob

Limp Gawd
I am looking at something close to this to replace a very old PC that is only used when i have guests over like my mother or old friends. Maybe is used one sometimes twice a year. They generally don't game really, but i put in a 1050 for some light gaming if they ever do. I am thinking of just not including the video card and just using the on board one as well since any gaming would be extremely light if at all. Thoughts/suggestions?

PC Hound Part List

CPU: Intel Pentium G4560 ($77.89 @ B&H)
Motherboard: ASUS PRIME Z270-A PRIME Z270-A ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: CORSAIR 8GB Vengeance LPX ($87.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1050 GV-N1050OC-2GD ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA 600W 600B 100-B1-0600-KR ($52.89 @ B&H)
Storage: WD 1TB Blue WD10EZEX ($49 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair Carbide Series CC-9011023-WW ($39.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R2 ($29.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $557.73
Price may include shipping, rebates, promotions, and tax
Generated by PC Hound

You opposed to a used workstation? A Dell T3500 would serve those needs very well.
Install that 1050 in one like below and you are good to go.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DELL-PRECI...398610?hash=item2a97805d92:g:XWkAAOSw5cNYUzC-
I wouldn't be opposed to something like that. again this is just something people who come visit for a few days or more can use to browse and sometimes game. I am just so used to building pcs for home that I didnt even think about refurb older ones. thank you for the suggestion.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
If you do go that route and run into any snags let me know. Have re-purposed several of these over the last year or so. They are a great value IMO.

A used laptop? Takes up a lot less space and your guests can use it where ever.

A used laptop? Takes up a lot less space and your guests can use it where ever.
I could do that as well. again I am just so used to building pcs for hte house I havent even considered some of these options. I am going to have to think about both suggestions and my original idea of building a pc. There is no rush on doing any of them as people only stay at my place once or twice a year.

Thank you both for your suggestions and getting me outside of my thought process. :)

+1 on a used/refurb workstation or a decent cheap laptop since the system is hardly going to be used.

I recently picked up another Dell Optiplex 9020 SFF off of craigslist for $200.

Specs were:
-i5-4690
-2x4GB DDR3-1333
-Toshiba 256GB SSD (OEM)
-Slim dvd-burner

It does have the space a low-profile GPU. No PCI-E power cables so something like a GTX 1050 ti is prolly the max I'll suggest for this system.

Last edited:
I echo the Optiplex or similar recommendation. I bought a 9020 with 2TB, an I5-3550 and 16GB ram for $200 off of ebay as an HTPC. It's been running great for over a month now. I added in an SSD and robbed the ram for my gaming PC, haha.

I honestly wouldn't spend anywhere near 500 for a guest PC that'll be used twice a year. I don't even know that I'd spend $200. But that's at least $300 better than 500!

Last edited:
Back