speedlever
Limp Gawd
- Joined
- Sep 29, 2006
- Messages
- 447
I have an old Asus Z71A laptop running XP/pro that still runs great but my 80Gb HD is getting full. I'd like to upgrade the drive and find my choices (at Newegg) to be (including shipping):
1) Samsung Spinpoint M5 160Gb for $60
2) WD Scorpio Blue 160GB for $75
3) WD Scorpio Blue 320Gb BEVERTL for $85
4) WD Scorpio Blue 320GB BEVE for $95
What's the diff between the BEVE and the BEVERTL other than $10? I think the RTL part just means retail... which I thought was normally more expensive than a bare drive. So it makes me wonder.
Cheapest option is the Sammy. I'm tempted for the 320Gb drive at $85, but not at $95. Still, I'd like to do this as cheaply as possible. It's taken me years to fill up the 80 Gb drive so 160Gb would likely suffice for the remainder of the laptop's life.
I have a couple of the Sammy drives (320Gb and 2TB) in my desktop and they have been good drives.But I don't know about how they do in laptops. OTOH I've had a couple of WD desktop drives fail in the last year. OTOOH, WD customer support is great.
If I go WD 160GB, I'm at $75. I figure I might as well add $10 and get the 320 Gb retail drive.
Any thoughts?
1) Samsung Spinpoint M5 160Gb for $60
2) WD Scorpio Blue 160GB for $75
3) WD Scorpio Blue 320Gb BEVERTL for $85
4) WD Scorpio Blue 320GB BEVE for $95
What's the diff between the BEVE and the BEVERTL other than $10? I think the RTL part just means retail... which I thought was normally more expensive than a bare drive. So it makes me wonder.
Cheapest option is the Sammy. I'm tempted for the 320Gb drive at $85, but not at $95. Still, I'd like to do this as cheaply as possible. It's taken me years to fill up the 80 Gb drive so 160Gb would likely suffice for the remainder of the laptop's life.
I have a couple of the Sammy drives (320Gb and 2TB) in my desktop and they have been good drives.But I don't know about how they do in laptops. OTOH I've had a couple of WD desktop drives fail in the last year. OTOOH, WD customer support is great.
If I go WD 160GB, I'm at $75. I figure I might as well add $10 and get the 320 Gb retail drive.
Any thoughts?