• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

replacement for X-fi Forte?

fornarmr

Gawd
Joined
Sep 5, 2007
Messages
552
Hey guys... my Forte sounds like it could be on it's last legs. I am getting a thumping noise sometimes and I am not really sure what the cause is. Could be that the card is dying but I am not sure.

Anyways, I think it's time for a new card anyways. It looks like there is absolutely nowhere that still carries this thing, so I guess I need to try to find something else. What would be a good replacement for this card? I am using a set of DT770's. I have a Bravura 7.1 sitting around that I got for free but after reading up about it supposedly it is not as good as the Forte for gaming. Is there a card out there that is comparable to the Forte and has the built-in headphone amp?
 
Hey guys... my Forte sounds like it could be on it's last legs. I am getting a thumping noise sometimes and I am not really sure what the cause is. Could be that the card is dying but I am not sure.

Anyways, I think it's time for a new card anyways. It looks like there is absolutely nowhere that still carries this thing, so I guess I need to try to find something else. What would be a good replacement for this card? I am using a set of DT770's. I have a Bravura 7.1 sitting around that I got for free but after reading up about it supposedly it is not as good as the Forte for gaming. Is there a card out there that is comparable to the Forte and has the built-in headphone amp?

"Villains!" I shrieked, "dissemble no more! I admit the deed! -- tear up the planks! -- here, here! -- it is the beating of his hideous heart!"

Try the Titanium HD. LOVE this card for my music and gaming.
 
What impedance are your DT770's? The Titanium HD's headphone out is only rated for headphones up to 330ohms.
 
I replaced my Forte with the Titanium HD and it is great! Way better than the Forte in sound and stability.
 
What impedance are your DT770's? The Titanium HD's headphone out is only rated for headphones up to 330ohms.

They are the Pro's so I think 250ohm. I don't have the box anymore so I don't really know to be honest. They could be the 80ohm version.
 
They are the Pro's so I think 250ohm. I don't have the box anymore so I don't really know to be honest. They could be the 80ohm version.

As long as you don't have the 600ohm version the Titanium HD should work just fine. I recently just upgraded to the HD in Win 7 x64 Pro and it seems to work great so far.
 
Titanium HD, would you think this is the top of the top for the money? price to value way u know? Can it also support multipul outs?
 
I decided to get rid of my ailing Forte just recently. I get the impression from looking around that these cards aren't particularly reliable, so you're in good company. Anyhow, after scouring the Head-Fi forums looking for a good replacement that would drive my DT880/250s, I decided to order an Asus Xonar Essence ST.

The majority of Head-Fiers seemed to be very satisfied with the ST's sound quality, especially with certain combinations of opamps. Many of them commented on how its headphone amplifier was able to drive higher impedance cans. A few of them even said it compared favorably with external amplifiers. I came away with the impression that the ST is a high quality unit and a good value.

There are two things I should mention, though. One, my gaming days are behind me, so I didn't pay particular attention to gaming performance. What I did see suggested that it's fairly good. Two, I'm eager to be free of Creative once and for all. Yes, the ST is priced higher than the Titanium HD, but to me it's worth it.
 
Last edited:
Is the HT Omega eClaro any good as a forte replacement for gaming and music? I would just buy the Creative Titanium HD but I don't really like Creative's drivers.
 
Back
Top