Replacement for Winamp?

leSLIe

Fisting is Too Mainstream for Me
I'm looking for an audio program that could replace Winamp. Just music (mp3s) and online streaming, no video.

foobar2000 was always it's main competition. Looks like it's still being developed too.

Why replace? The current version still works fine and will still be good for the next few years.

MusicBee is a really good replacement. I just started using it & I'm quite happy.

I recommend MusicBee. I know several people who MusicBee was their next player after years with Winamp. I'm one of those people who made the change to MusicBee after more than 10 years on Winamp and I'm really liking it.

foobar 2000 is really lightweight, u can download extensions for firefox with it too.

I've been using Foobar for years, its a very clean way to play music and doesnt colour the sound.
I tested WASAPI on both players and Winamp added extra bass, most odd considering its supposed to be plain data.

I miss Milkdrop, its great!
Years ago there used to be a way to make Milkdrop work from an internal Windows sound source using the line in plugin. This way I could use another player and still get visuals.
Last time I tried to do this (a year or so ago), the option to use an internal audio source wasnt there any more, it was line in only.
Does this work now?

Surely someone is downloading the entire contents of winamps website to build a new winamp website so it all can still be downloaded after the 1st of the year.

I've been using Foobar for years, its a very clean way to play music and doesnt colour the sound.
I tested WASAPI on both players and Winamp added extra bass, most odd considering its supposed to be plain data.

I miss Milkdrop, its great!
Years ago there used to be a way to make Milkdrop work from an internal Windows sound source using the line in plugin. This way I could use another player and still get visuals.
Last time I tried to do this (a year or so ago), the option to use an internal audio source wasnt there any more, it was line in only.
Does this work now?

Milkdrop has worked with Audacious, Clementine, XMMS, Winamp, iTunes, Jack, PulseAudio, foobar2000, VLC media player and XBMC via plugins for a long time. It was never really just a Winamp thing.

Here it is for foobar:
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=59388

You will have to look it up for the other players.

-=MediaMonkey=-

GREAT piece of software. Not flawless by any means, but it can handle large libraries, has a brilliant library/tag management system, and has a plethora of great features (with an expansive user-generated features and addons). Syncs great with phones, too.

I'm looking for an audio program that could replace Winamp. Just music (mp3s) and online streaming, no video.

I'm not gonna stop using WinAmp just because it went dead years ago. :eek:

Yeah.. just because they stop releasing it doesn't mean it won't still be around. They're just not updating it anymore.. right?

-=MediaMonkey=-

GREAT piece of software. Not flawless by any means, but it can handle large libraries, has a brilliant library/tag management system, and has a plethora of great features (with an expansive user-generated features and addons). Syncs great with phones, too.

This is what I have been using. My MP3 library is pretty big and it handles it just fine. Not perfect but works very well. This was my Musicmatch replacement a while back because it converts and tags stuff nicely.

I don't understand why people are jumping ship on a product if it still does what they want it to do, play media, if it still operates and does what you want it to why do you need to jump ship to something else?

I don't understand why people are jumping ship on a product if it still does what they want it to do, play media, if it still operates and does what you want it to why do you need to jump ship to something else?

no updates == no updates for security == if something nasty comes along (like say, an exploit in a mp3 related to a id3 tag) you're now owned and part of a botnet or worse.

no updates == no updates for security == if something nasty comes along (like say, an exploit in a mp3 related to a id3 tag) you're now owned and part of a botnet or worse.

Which is generally should not be a problem if you acquire your media from secure sources.

i dont get why people dont just use vlc for everything, it will play spaghetti if you ask it to

i dont get why people dont just use vlc for everything, it will play spaghetti if you ask it to

Nope, I have a ton of formats that VLC just won't touch, likely due to questions of licenses. (nsf, spc, gym, etc.. game audio formats)

hence I keep Foobar2000 around to play them as plugins exist for those formats.

Damn!!! I didnt realize that Winamp was being shut down until I saw this thread and then did some googling and read this article. :(

I loved streaming Shoutcast music thru Winamp back in the day!!!

home media player classic + install any codecs you need for music/video files

Another vote for foobar. I use that on Windows and Vox on Mac.

Winamp was my first MP3 player in the 90s and still is my only music player. I'll keep using it until it stops working. Or AOL open sources it :)

I have a decent sized collection (~45k songs) and Music Bee handles it great. I started using it a few weeks ago and have been impressed.

Back