• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Replacement for Radeon HD 5770

Joined
Jun 15, 2017
Messages
4
Have an old system with an Asrock M3A770DE and Athlon II X4 630 that's held up surprisingly well over the past 7 years. The Radeon HD 5770 finally died. Any suggestions on a decent replacement card that would give around the same level of performance? I know the system itself is a bottleneck, but I was able to run all games decently usually. Only one I ran into that wouldn't run is Batman Arkham Knight. I'll put together a new system sometime this year, but I'd like to get this one back up and running to use for other tasks and play the occasional backlogged steam game like Mass Effect, Skyrim and the Witcher series. Thanks
 
Because you're wanting to do a full build later on, you can pickup used 6870/6850's for dirt cheap off ebay as they are too old to mine and you'll double your performance compared to the 5770, just make sure your PSU is upto the task as they take a few more watts.
 
If you do not want to do that route the 1050gtx cards are not a bad deal at sub $90 or a slightly slower rx460 here for 70AR. These cards are on par with a gtx 770 / Radeon 7950, but not exactly low costing the grand scheme. Additionally you could upgrade your cpu to a Phenom II X6 from ebay for $50 if you want to buy some extra time on the platform but these guys are really starting to show their age. Fyi I personally use a rx460, g3260 system as my htpc and it runs all games like a champ including Batman Arkham Knight (note a memory leak or bug makes more than 8gb ram a requirement ), and Mad Max, Shadow of Morridor, 1080p very fun and playable. Just my 2c though as there are cheaper equivalent / better cards out there like Omegas is saying.
 
If I were in your boots right now to replace that card I'd invest in a 1050 non Ti or a 460 but ... I'd get one in a half height form factor so that I could reuse it down the road for an HTPC build in a small case.

When it came time, I'd get an ITX case and mobo and undervolt the snot out of that Propus and reuse it ,your hard drive, RAM and your new card.

Just how I plan, but all the advice given here is good advice.
 
Back
Top