• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Replacement for Grado's

fuzzy34

Am I Really Still [H]ere?
Joined
Jul 11, 2004
Messages
958
So I've had a pair of Grado SR-80's for over 10 years now. They just recently died on me (I guess over all these years the ear cup twisting frayed the internal wires). I tried modding them to have a single stereo plug in (simliar to http://gilmore2.chem.northwestern.edu/projects/showfile.php?file=grado_prj.htm but with a stereo configuration instead of mono), but I have issues with them and the right channel cutting in and out (if someone could help this problem, that would be great too.)

I am looking to spend ~$100 on comparable headphones. Other than that I don't really have any requirements. The main use for them is listening to music at work and occasional gaming. Portability is a plus, but not required (I've traveling with my Grado's no problem).
 
I recommended the MS1 in your GenMay thread.

Personally I'd consider selling your semi-working SR80's and step up even higher in the Grado chain.

Perhaps an MS2 or SR225.
 
Audio Technica ATH-AD700 are an interesting set of cans in your price range.

Soundstage is much wider than the Grado's you had, and instrumental seperation is better.

However, if rock is your main music, the Grado's still win, as they are still more forward on rock. Don't get me wrong, however, the AD700s are still excellent on rock.
 
I've been very pleased with my Sennheiser HD555s and it seems they dip well below the $100 mark quite frequently.
 
I've been very pleased with my Sennheiser HD555s and it seems they dip well below the $100 mark quite frequently.

mod those 555's and make them 595's :)

takes 10 minutes and is well worth the effort
 
Back
Top