• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Replacement for Dell U2711

guest2

n00b
Joined
Aug 21, 2011
Messages
17
I joined this forums as I am looking for a replacement for my Dell U2711 monitor. The panel died and I got a refund so now need a new screen.

The harsh antiglare was hurting my eyes to the point of me getting a headache after a while. I would like a new screen that doesnt have antiglare or has a light coating of it.

I would like 27" if possible but not too fussed if its 24"

Black levels were not the best on the Dell IPS panel so i'm thinking VA panel. I game from time and will be playing Battlefield 3, the new ID game and Trackmania 2.

Please could anyone commend on which of these would be best suited for me, or please recommend another

BenQ EW2730V - Not yet released
BenQ EW2420 - VA, LED, light antiglare (maybe a winner? - why the low price of £175?)
HP ZR24w - Nasty Antiglare, but great reviews on here
Dell U2410 - Same antiglare issues as other Dell and HP IPS screens
Apple Cinema display 27" - Connectivity and configuratuion (brightness etc) issues on PC
Hazro HZ27WC - Poor build quality and bad warranty
Asus ML249H - VA panel, not many reviews

I like good black levels, reponse time to be average and good colours

Budget is £600 as thats what my Dell cost. I am thinking of spending around £300 - £350 on a screen, then getting a new graphics card for £240
 
I personally love the Fujitsu P24W-5 ECO (S-IPS, 1920x1200). If you are into *VA then I'd consider the Eizo Foris FS2331 which has cPVA (1920x1080 though).

You could try your luck with a Fujitsu P27T-6 27" 2560x1440 although it has an agressive anti-glare coating. I'm certainly considering it. I'm very much afraid lately from anything that has DELL in its name. This yellow/blue whatever tinting and ridiculous number of issues reported is disheartening.

The Eizo S2433W (S-PVA, 1920x1200 with overdrive) could be just within your budget.

I chewed through a lot of monitors lately and couldn't find anything worh my while (including 3x U2311Hs).

Currently using a Fujitsu P24W-5 ECO. One of the best I have ever used.

The Asus PA246Q is allegedly nice (although there's a flickering issue associated with the model) and some say it's not better than a Dell 2410. Haven't tried that one myself.

The Cinema sounds cool at first but consider the reflections. You'd see yourself over dark images/scenes.
 
Thanks Kyanzes. Never heard of the Fujitsu.
I cant find the Fujitsu P24W-5 for sale, but the Fujitsu P24W-6 is £480. Thats quite a lot for a 24" screen (the most ive seen) Is it better than the Dell U2410. I imagine it will be

The Eizo FS2331 at £358 looks nice and somehow Eizo look a lot better made than other monitors like Asus, Dell, etc. Downside is that I would loose an inch on screen size and response time is a bit faster. Would ghosting in games be a big issue with the Eizo?
 
Last edited:
Here's a link to a very thorough P24W-5 test:

http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/review/2009/review-fsc-p24w-5.html

Make sure you check out the "image quality" section.

Also, the P24W-6 doesn't seem to be as good btw. (a newer model that you mentioned):

http://www.prad.de/new/monitore/test/2011/test-fujitsu-p24w-6-ips-teil8.html

Personally, I'm scared from monitors that cannot deliver nice black (but the very least they shouldn't be tinting in yellow and blue).

A 2331 review (not available in English but you can still look at the images and extract info from the graphs, and you could also use Google's translator ofc):

http://www.prad.de/new/monitore/test/2011/test-fujitsu-p24w-6-ips-teil8.html

Its successor is the 2332 which is IPS btw. I tend to like the 2331 more. (Never seen the 2332 in action though).

It would be best to look at it personally of course.
 
The 2333T has no overdrive built in AFAIK. Ofc if that doesn't matter to you then it could be a reasonable buy.
 
Is it better than the Dell U2410

Pretty much every single IPS panel released after the 2410 is better, and cheaper.

If you weren't happy the the 2711's blacks the 2410 has the worst blacks of any IPS panel currently on the market with the exception of the 2209WA. The HP models are the same as the 2711, so if you want an improvement in image quality and to stick with IPS the Hazro is your only option since the Fujitsus use the same aggressive AG.

The stand on the Hazros aren't the best, but the image quality is very good and they are similarily priced with the lower resolution Fujitsus, which use the same coating as the 2711. Read the below review on the Hazro:

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/hazro_hz27wa.htm

The EW2420 use a semi-glossy coating, but they have poor color presets while the EW2430 is an improvment. The 2333t and BenQ VA panels have slow response times while the Forris FS2331 is nearly as fast as the U2711, but will show some ghosting.
 
Thanks. I wasnt really bothered (too much) about the U2711 black, just the antiglare. It was horrible when looking at text and web pages

Whats the difference between the Hazro HZ27WC and WA? The WA is quite a bit cheaper (£150 cheaper) it says 8bit vs 10bit on the WC, but I thought this is only input or something and its not actually true 10bit

Going with a 23" Eizo is quite a drop in size from 27" i'm not sure if the Eizo is worth the price for a 23" screen... but maybe it is
 
The C does not have a resolution scaler (less input lag) and can only be used with your PC due to the lack of extra inputs. 8vs10bit does not matter and has 0 effect on image quality. Read TFT centrals review all the info regarding the Hazros is in it.
 
Last edited:
Sorry, I meant the WC is quite a bit cheaper.
I take it you mean the opposite too - the WC not having a scaler, less input lag but also a lack of inputs. I will pn;ly be using it on PC, DVD-D anyway, less input lag the better
 
I still havent bougth a screen, mine is being collected in 2 days. I have shortened the list down a bit

HP ZR24w 24"
Eizo FS2331 23"
ASUS VE276Q 27"
Dell U2412M 24"
Hazro HZ27WA 27"
Dell U2711 and mod the AG coating off it

Wait for this to come into stock - Samsung SA850 27" PLS display. Anyone any idea when it will be for sale? (in UK)

That list has got bigger hasnt it :rolleyes:
 
Samsung SA850 27" PLS display.

This. If U2711 minus antiglare is what you're after, you're just like me, and this is the monitor I will be buying.
 
Isnt the Hazro HZ27wc similar to the U2711 without antiglare (or exactly like an apple cinema display, just cheaper, crap stand and bad warranty)
 
Back
Top