Replacement for a TX650W

glarsen84

n00b
Hello,
i need a replacement for my noisy (high pitch noise) Corsair TX650W.
I would like at least 850W.

Been looking at the Antec Toughpower 850W.. is it a high quality PSU?

I would also like to know, if modular and multi-rail power supplies are that bad (i've been searching google)?

Hello,
i need a replacement for my noisy (high pitch noise) Corsair TX650W.
I would like at least 850W.

Been looking at the Antec Toughpower 850W.. is it a high quality PSU?

I would also like to know, if modular and multi-rail power supplies are that bad (i've been searching google)?

The noise you hear has nothing to do with quality. Some of those units escaped with a noisy choke coil. Corsair will replace it for you pretty much NAQ.

In the past we have seen both PSUs and Mobos have this issue and while anoying it is harmless, nothing is going to blow up.

Give Corsair a call on Monday, no doubt you will have an RMA PDQ.

The TX 650 and 750 are built like mules;)

I tend to avoid modualar, I don't want or need additional plugs in the powerflow. With a good single rail there is far less chance of you installing it in an unbalanced configuration.

The noise you hear has nothing to do with quality. Some of those units escaped with a noisy choke coil. Corsair will replace it for you pretty much NAQ.

In the past we have seen both PSUs and Mobos have this issue and while anoying it is harmless, nothing is going to blow up.

Give Corsair a call on Monday, no doubt you will have an RMA PDQ.

The TX 650 and 750 are built like mules;)

I tend to avoid modualar, I don't want or need additional plugs in the powerflow. With a good single rail there is far less chance of you installing it in an unbalanced configuration.

QFT, It's annoying but won't do anything, my GTX 280s do it.
Also it's either an Antec Quattro 850 or Thermaltake Toughpower 850.

Thanks for the replies,
I'm not sure if it's the same problem we are talking about? The whine is not constant.
My PSU is noisy, when i'm scrolling on the web, especially if there's many pictures. Also when loading in games (much louder at +200 fps), and it also does it occasionally.
My GTX260 isn't whining, but i can't say if the GPU makes my PSU whine :/

Btw i'm not gonna RMA it to Corsair because i have 5 days left to cancel the order. It's just too bad, because i do know that Corsair is good quality. I fear that i will get the same problem if a buy a new Corsair (was actually considering the 1000W cuz i might get triple-sli next summer), but i think it's gonna be a Toughpower then (if the cables are long enough) :/

EDIT: No Toughpower.. i've decided to go with a Zalman 750 or 850W. Looks like the overall quality is better than Corsair.

EDIT: No Toughpower.. i've decided to go with a Zalman 750 or 850W. Looks like the overall quality is better than Corsair.

Not really. Zalman uses FSP's Epsilon platform for those PSUs, which is very inconsistent and often results in PSUs that have very high amounts of ripple, which can damage components. Although Zalman's particular units seem to be mostly exempt from those problems judging by reviews, it still isn't accurate to claim that their PSUs are better-quality than Corsair's. In reality, it's most likely the reverse that is true.

They use Enhance for the ZM850 PSU..
I don't think they are better quality. I just can't buy a Corsair PSU ever again and feel safe. These abnormal whine sounds are pretty scary.
I just found out that TT Toughpower uses CWT, and i don't know if they are better or not. I'm gonna place a order tomorrow, so i need to decide quickly.

They use Enhance for the ZM850 PSU..
I don't think they are better quality. I just can't buy a Corsair PSU ever again and feel safe. These abnormal whine sounds are pretty scary.
I just found out that TT Toughpower uses CWT, and i don't know if they are better or not. I'm gonna place a order tomorrow, so i need to decide quickly.

Are you absolutely positive the whine is coming from the power supply?

Corsair makes some of the best units in the business. The Corsair 1000W uses the CWT PUC design and is arguably the best consumer grade psu currently on the market. Zalman's 750W is an enhance using teapo caps, which is a cheap design with cheap parts. It is of vastly inferior quality to the Corsair. This is true for most units including your TX650W, which is a seasonic unit IIRC.

The noise coming from your power supply doesnt the electrical performance of the unit in anyway, its just a wierd side-effect. Something is hitting some resonance harmonic with some effect nobody put on any data charts. The effect is wierd but its documented and is usually fixed with some mild tinkering on Corsairs end. It happens.

Switching from Corsair to Zalman or Antec is a mistake. If you want a "quality" unit and dont want to have to do research, Corsair is a great way to go. To my knowledge, every single one of their units passes ATX based tests with flying colours, including their econo units. Antec makes some excellent units, and some horrible ones. Zalman makes half-assed units. OCZ is all over the place. If you want a unit that has name behind it that has never released a poor unit, Seasonic, Corsair, Enermax and PC P&C are your choices.

Corsair makes some of the best units in the business. The Corsair 1000W uses the CWT PUC design and is arguably the best consumer grade psu currently on the market. Zalman's 750W is an enhance using teapo caps, which is a cheap design with cheap parts. It is of vastly inferior quality to the Corsair. This is true for most units including your TX650W, which is a seasonic unit IIRC.

The noise coming from your power supply doesnt the electrical performance of the unit in anyway, its just a wierd side-effect. Something is hitting some resonance harmonic with some effect nobody put on any data charts. The effect is wierd but its documented and is usually fixed with some mild tinkering on Corsairs end. It happens.

Switching from Corsair to Zalman or Antec is a mistake. If you want a "quality" unit and dont want to have to do research, Corsair is a great way to go. To my knowledge, every single one of their units passes ATX based tests with flying colours, including their econo units. Antec makes some excellent units, and some horrible ones. Zalman makes half-assed units. OCZ is all over the place. If you want a unit that has name behind it that has never released a poor unit, Seasonic, Corsair, Enermax and PC P&C are your choices.

Thanks,
Even if the whine-noise is normal, i still can't live with it, and i fear i will have the same problem if i switch to another Corsair unit. PC P&C + Enermax are rarely sold in Denmark, and they are much more expensive compared to the US.

What about the Zalman 850W? According to a review Enhance is better than FSP..

And isn't TT Toughpower basicly the same as Corsair 1000W.. They are both CWT.

EDIT: Ok, i forget about the Zalman. I found one review saying it had bad DC output/ripple, and i don't want to risk my new hardware, so i go back to the Toughpower 850W.. i'm not sure about anything yet though.

the whine noise isnt normal, you got a defective psu and its quite common from what ive heard, corsair will replace it for free.

same thing happens to my antec psu, but only when its at full load.

My RMAed 620HX has the same exact noise as my old unit. What are the chances that quality control is the reason? 2 units, separated by 13 months of production - it's doubtful that this is a coincidental.

I would definitely consider another brand in the future - but if it's a huge problem for the OP right now, don't hesitate to jump to another brand.

I've got the Zalman 850-HP and it's been rock solid the last few weeks I've had it. Strong rails, and the voltages don't waiver even under load. Honestly, I've read good/bad things about virtually all PSUs as I was looking at Corsairs as well. But I'm impressed with this one. Heatpipe cooling, strong/numerous rails, efficient, quiet, ...only thing I haven't messed with is the noise filter and the only oddity is that there's no on/off switch. But since my build went off without a hitch, it's not a big deal.

I would go with the BFG-ES 800 if you are to replace that Corsair TX650 psu. This is a very solid psu. I know what you mean by that noise. I had that on my FSP 300 watt I removed from my Acer Quad and used on my Athlon 64 computer. It runs fine but that noise is very irritating.

The TX-650 and TX-750 are both made by CWT so build quality and safety is not an issue.

I posted in another thread about this and my findings at least in part are sometimes it's the PSU and sometimes it's a total imbalance of the load.

If you Google "PSU whine" you will find there are numerus PSUs with the same issue and even more methods of diagnosing the issues.

The unit is under warrantee, why even consider replacing it with another brand? Call them and try to arange for an exchange and or talk to their Techs, nice people with good information.;)

Yeah, I've actually never had any problem with any seasonic unit ever (period). No capacitor squeeling, no loud fans (actually the seasonic HB380W is probably the quietest unit I've ever sold), and I cant fault any for wierd voltage/current issues.

BFG is pretty well all american, but their LS, GS, (MX?) and ES units are all superb. The non-LS GS and ES ones are horrible.

and what exactly is this PSU driving? I'd wager a good deal of money you dont need to buy anything more than a 600W.

My computer is completely new, and i don't want to wait for days to get a new PSU.
I tried the PSU with the same GPU, in my old Athlon PC, and it did still whine.

The Toughpower do not whine, but now i can hear my GPU whine and say odd sounds.. but i think it always had.. The PSU whine might just have been so loud it prevented me from hearing it.. I hope everything is normal now..

I must admit though, i would like a Corsair with no whine over a Toughpower.. but what ever.. I hope everything turns out to be okay.

Thanks for the help, and replies everyone!

Back