Replacement Fans and Controller

Wheresatom

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Mar 20, 2007
Messages
1,390
I am looking to replace the top two tri-cools in my P182B soon. On occasion at startup one of them just wont turn unless I knock the blades one way or the other to get them started. My girlfriend ran the computer all day once with this going on, and my OC just didn't seem to like it.

I think I have decided I want to get Sythe Slipstream fans and the Sythe Kaze Master Controller. For my CPU HSF I have a Zalman 9500. I was wondering if the Sythe fan controller would be able to control the speed of the CPU fan, if there is an adapter I need to buy, or if I should just deal with it and buy a separate controller for the HSF.

Also, is there any possible problem with these fans and control panel in my case? Is this an advisable upgrade?

 
Aesthetically speaking, think I prefer the Scythe controller over the sunbeam. I don't mind spending a little more for it. I guess the main question is, is there a way to get the controller to modulate the speed on the Zalman HSF also?


BTW, thanks for the tip on the sleeve bearing fans. I remember hearing that a while back, but I thought that was more for cheaper fans. I didn't realize that still applied to nicer ones.

 
The 9500 should be a standard 3 pin fan connection, you should be able to use the Scythe controller with no issues. If you look at the fanmate 2, the cables included are nothing but a 3 pin fan cable split to go to from the fanmate 2 to the fan header and to the heatsink fan. From the looks of the link (and if you don't have a fanmate 2 with your 9500) you probably have the 4 pin PWM version which doesn't require a fanmate because it automatically controls the fan’s RPM according to CPU temperature.

Edit: What motherboard do you have, it might have a 4 pin PWM for the CPU if it is pretty recent?
 
My motherboard is an ASUS P5N-E-SLI. It has a connection for the zalman, but I haven't figured out how to get the thing to start up on 60-75% fan speed. At startup it defaults to 100% and is pretty loud. I use speed fan to slow it down myself after startup. It doesn't seem to regulate temperature much itself, or it always seems to want to go faster than I want it to. With a moderate overclock like I have, and 24/7 folding, it kinda has a constant want for more cooling. But it isnt excessive right now.



 
Ok, it seems I do not need to get anything else to control my HSF, that it is as good as it gets. I might just switch over to the 3.5" one then being I will only be controlling 2 fans. Does anyone know how they fit in the Antec P182B? The Newegg reviews seem to complain a bit about size conversions from metric to English units.

Thanks!

 
My motherboard is an ASUS P5N-E-SLI. It has a connection for the zalman, but I haven't figured out how to get the thing to start up on 60-75% fan speed. At startup it defaults to 100% and is pretty loud. I use speed fan to slow it down myself after startup. It doesn't seem to regulate temperature much itself, or it always seems to want to go faster than I want it to. With a moderate overclock like I have, and 24/7 folding, it kinda has a constant want for more cooling. But it isnt excessive right now.




I have the same motherboard, and there is a setting in the BIOS for the motherboard to control the speed. I don't know how it works, just that it's there. It's in the same section as where you would check your CPU temp.
 
Back
Top