Replacement chipset cooler?

NeilFarted

Gawd
I have a gigabyte ga-m55sli s4 motherboard with the nforce4 sli chipset (northbridge?southbridge? both?). the stock heatsink/fan is starting to go bad (the bearing in the fan?) and making more noise than it should be. i want to replace it with a nice heatsink (rather not get one with a fan) that will cool it effectively, but i'm not sure if i can buy a regular chipset heatsink, or if i need to get a special one, seeing as how the cuurent heatsink/fan is rectangular, and not square, like all the coolers i see on newegg. is the chipset actually rectangular? i'd rather not start taking off the heatsink until i have the replacement, so i don't really know what is going on underneath the stock HS. any advice is appreciated.

so is the chipset on my board square-shaped? or are the northbridge and southbridge just next to each other, under one heatsink? i was hoping that someone might have the same board or similar and know from experience.

so is the chipset on my board square-shaped? or are the northbridge and southbridge just next to each other, under one heatsink? i was hoping that someone might have the same board or similar and know from experience.

The nForce 4's NB and SB are in a single chip. I have a Thermalright HR-05 SLI on it.

I ran a HR-05 SLi when I had an Ultra-D NF4, and it kept that nice and cool with the FSB around 300. Now I've got it on my IP-35, and it's still doing good. I would suggest that you mount a fan onto it. You'll have no trouble mounding an 80 or 70 mm fan, depending on what you've got lying around, and it comes with zip ties.

I ran a HR-05 SLi when I had an Ultra-D NF4, and it kept that nice and cool with the FSB around 300. Now I've got it on my IP-35, and it's still doing good. I would suggest that you mount a fan onto it. You'll have no trouble mounding an 80 or 70 mm fan, depending on what you've got lying around, and it comes with zip ties.
i just bought one of these from someone in the fs thread. i'll wait and see what my temps are fanless and see if i need to add one (luckily i have a spare cooler master ultra silent 80mm fan lying around). i have pretty good airflow in my p180, so i'll see.
also, has anyone experienced bad seating on their chipset, especially in vertical cases? that seemed to be the only complaint i saw on the reviews on newegg.

It should seat just fine. Just be sure the base of the heatsink has the square ring bit of foam or whatever it is.

i just bought one of these from someone in the fs thread. i'll wait and see what my temps are fanless and see if i need to add one (luckily i have a spare cooler master ultra silent 80mm fan lying around). i have pretty good airflow in my p180, so i'll see.
also, has anyone experienced bad seating on their chipset, especially in vertical cases? that seemed to be the only complaint i saw on the reviews on newegg.

The only problem I've had is that it ALMOST prevented my dual slot video card from fitting. At first I though it wasn't going to work. But one of the mounting bolts has JUST enough give to clear the shroud on the video card. If the shroud was 1/10" bigger, it wouldn't have fit.

The only problem I've had is that it ALMOST prevented my dual slot video card from fitting. At first I though it wasn't going to work. But one of the mounting bolts has JUST enough give to clear the shroud on the video card. If the shroud was 1/10" bigger, it wouldn't have fit.

On my Ultra-D, it almost didn't fit as well. The HR's heatsink was right in front of the fan for my 8800GTX, but I put on a fan pushing air into the heatsink, so I think it got some extra air into the GPU heatsink/shroud as well.

Back