Replacement case for Dell Precision T3500

• Thread starter Deleted member 88301
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 88301

Hi, all.

My computer is pretty old but I'm extremely happy to have what I have.

Given Dell's need for everything to be proprietary, is there any way to get the "guts" of a T3500 to play nice in a standard case?

doesn't look like it. looks custom extended BTX. youd need an EATX case for the width and then drill/tap new standoff points.

pendragon1, yeah, pretty much what I knew, but thanks. The Dell Precision T3500 case is built like a tank. But it's a pain when it comes to cable management. I'm using a non-modular PS in it, unfortunately, and can't afford to get a better/modular PS.

No matter, my stuff works.

Thanks!

Had similar aspirations myself and did some tracing. Yep. Big difference in boards. T3500 (red), and common ATX (blue) rotated 180 degrees. Apart from size, only three of the standoff points align - marked with arrows.
atx.t3500.jpg

Another big issue is the front PCB in the T3500 where the power switch, fan controllers, and temp sensor reside. Dell board needs this connected by way of that ribbon cable.

Dell rear I/O panel connector arrangement is non-typical. So customization required there also.

[edit]
Where cable management is concerned, I have found a regular PSU needs an 8-pin EPS extender since the CPU power socket is at lower left of the Dell board. For fans and such, splicing & soldering custom wiring to run along case front and/or behind the main board helps a lot too.

Last edited:
id look for a case, psu and a board.
Yeah, proprietary cable pinouts must go. It's just asking for disaster eventually, especially if it's not a case with a big Dell warning label on the front.

Honestly the t3500 case is built way better than custom cases under $200. Take the front face plate off and paint it if you want a different look.

Yeah, wouldn't be worth the hassle. Everything is working fine, not gonna fix what isn't broken. But I do understand that down the line this T3500 might be a PITA. I was surprised when a Corsair ATX PS worked so easily.

Yeah, wouldn't be worth the hassle. Everything is working fine, not gonna fix what isn't broken. But I do understand that down the line this T3500 might be a PITA. I was surprised when a Corsair ATX PS worked so easily.
Hope it's not the Corsair CX/CXM by Channel Well. Those scare me.

Dropped a 550w Seasonic G, 12" EPS extension, and 1070 the guy already had into a t3500. Works great.

Actually, yep, CX430. Model: CMPSU-430CX V2. I've had zero problems, but what did you experience? One of these days it would be nice to get a modular PSU for my T3500.

Most PSU review pages have the CX near bottom of the tier list. No personal experience with them. Though the few cheaper power supply that I have tested with multimeters do hold tight for a time, but after a few months start to fluctuate voltages. Which ultimately puts more strain on components, or worse.

Oh, I know it's bottom tier level, but I got two of them, BNIB, from a friend of mine. And with my non-existent budget, stuck with what I have. So, just crossing my fingers.

Back