• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Replacement Card for 8800GTX SLI?

RybakT

n00b
Joined
Apr 27, 2007
Messages
12
I have two 8800GTX cards running in SLI. I want to replace this setup with a single card that will out perform the 8800's. I don't want to go all out and get a top of the line card but I'm hoping you can recommend something in the $300-$400 range.
 
What resolution monitor?

You could get a used GTX 285 that would beat up your SLi as it sits.
Or if you want a new card, Id look at the HD 5870 1GB or the 5870 E6 2GB.....especially if you want to use EyeFinity.:D
 
I second the 5870, will last you a while, get another when they come down in price and you feel you want to boost it a bit.
 
What resolution monitor?

You could get a used GTX 285 that would beat up your SLi as it sits.
Or if you want a new card, Id look at the HD 5870 1GB or the 5870 E6 2GB.....especially if you want to use EyeFinity.:D

I don't think the GTX285 will be much faster, as I remember the 8800GTX sli was about as fast as a GTX280 if not a bit faster at times.
 
In the $300 - $400 range a 5850 or GTX 470 will be a good improvement over 8800GTX SLI. Power consumption and heat will be a lot better too. Especially with the 5850.
 
I don't think the GTX285 will be much faster, as I remember the 8800GTX sli was about as fast as a GTX280 if not a bit faster at times.
QFT! If he wants to out perform his current setup and make it worth the cost, he needs a card that's better then the GTX 285

edit: heck my 8800 GTS 512 SLI setup approaches GTX 285 performance in come cases.
 
I don't think the GTX285 will be much faster, as I remember the 8800GTX sli was about as fast as a GTX280 if not a bit faster at times.

My single GTX 285 beat down my 8800 GTX Sli, and could do more AA. Same setup otherwise. Now two GTX 285 in Sli was really a nice deal.:cool:

That's just my experience.:D
 
My single GTX 285 beat down my 8800 GTX Sli, and could do more AA. Same setup otherwise. Now two GTX 285 in Sli was really a nice deal.:cool:

That's just my experience.:D


http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=267417&highlight=8800+GTX

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/nvidia_geforce_gtx_280_260_performance/page13.asp

looks like the GTX280 is almost getting beat down here :p

the GTX285 is slightly faster then the 280(what 5%?) so not really a worthy update, and no point in buying last gen tech when you're already spending $300
 
I'll agree in recommending the 5870. If you don't want to spend that much or you don't mind lowering a couple of setting then the 5850 is a great bang for the buck.
 
Back
Top