Replacement Battery

turb0

Gawd
I have 3 batteries that need replacing. I have had some issues with 3rd party batteries in the past with them not fitting properly and/or they died within a few months.

Are there any specific 3rd party vendors you all have used that have had good/great results with? Looking on Amazon and other online sellers, I see that there are just mixed reviews across the board.

Laptops needing Batteries:

2007 - white macbook
2011 - 13" MBA (internal battery is replaceable)
2012 - 13" MBP

Thanks!

I would just say that I highly recommend getting actual Apple batteries for replacement parts. Talking with friends and having a similar experience myself, any other manufacturer has generally much cheaper cells. In addition to that the cell management is much worse.

You pay more for the Apple stuff, but especially in the case of batteries, it's worth it. Otherwise you'll generally end up with something that doesn't hold a charge after a year or less and will require replacement again anyway. Or, even worse run into a situation with swollen or exploding batteries.

My friend was the former. Luckily anyone I know personally wasn't the latter. But we both generally learned our lesson.

The 2011 and 2012 machines, go with the actual apple batteries. Sure $129 seems steep but they are a much better quality and will last you longer usually. I put a 3rd party battery in my 2009 13" macbook pro and it looked OEM and worked decently, it never would charge to 100% fully, would only stay at 98-99%, and would drain faster than the OEM battery.

As for the 2007 macbook, since the machine is vintage, talk to a local AASP that isn't a corporate apple store and see if they can still order official ones, otherwise avoid paying less than $60 for a replacement.

Thanks guys.

The MBA is my main machine I use for consulting that will probably go the OEM route since I can write that off. The MBP is the wife's and in time that will get changed.

The old White MB is for the kids and I'm resurrecting that one. It may go without a battery for a while, but I see a few options for $30'ish on amazon and will probably go that route.... however, I may just go without since I don't want to deal with an overheated or exploding battery around my kids and all.

Thanks again!

have you tried browsing OWC (other world computing)? They seem to have a fair bit of apple stuff that is either discounted or refurbished.

I cheaped out and ordered a $35 battery for my 2010 MBP 15" I use at home after the OEM basically exploded and pushed the trackpad up. Came with all the screw drivers and have had no issues with it. Only charges to 99%... but I still get 4-5hours off it. Which is about what I got with the OEM a few years ago.

Back