• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Replacement air cooler for a H50

Anti-Hero

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 22, 2006
Messages
324
I've had an H50 for years now and I have to reset the cold plate every couple of months it seems to get my performance back to reasonable. My specs are in my signature and at an ambient temperature of roughly 20 C I'm idling at 40 C and under load it can get to the mid 70's. Unacceptable.

What would be a decent air cooler that would get my temperatures down to the realm of reasonable? I was looking at the Silverstone HE01 which would probably offer the best compatibility on install (since it clears RAM on all motherboards) but at $80 it's pretty steep.
 
I haven't actually used it, but the Arctic Cooling i30 (or just the "30 series") seems to have great performance for $40 (4x 8mm heatpipes, minimal separation between pipes at the base, Arctic F12 PWM fan is a good value). If it fits your socket and size requirements, then it should perform nearly as well as many of the more expensive solutions.

Edit: But you wanted performance noticeably better than that of your H50 in push/pull. The i30, even with a 2nd fan, is not top tier.
 
Last edited:
Well my H50, before performance degradation sunk in, was routinely doing idle at around 30-35 C and Prime95 load was never above 70 C. The H50 was never top tier - it was a pretty decent cooling solution that was super quiet. Honestly I think the radiator fins need are having dust problems, but cleaning that would require removing the whole thing from the case and at that point I'd rather just replace it.
 
Here's my recommendation for the Xigmatek SD1283 Night Hawk edition.
I'm putting 1.5v into a C2Q Q6600 to run it at 3.6GHz, and this cooler keeps it near ambient temps while idle & no higher than 60c under full load.
Picked it up on sale for $35 a few weeks ago.
 
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/09/25/arctic_cooling_freezer_i30_13_cpu_cooler_review/4 - So the [H] did like the Arctic i30, BUT:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/display/arctic-freezer-i30_5.html#sect0 - I guess here we see that these guys couldn't achieve good results with that Arctic i30 (different test-method). The True Spirit 140, at $10 more, seems to be a good deal.

Look at their chart with the rankings. That HE-01 seems to be loud for that level of performance. The Thermalright and Phanteks units are doing well regarding performance / noise, but we know they are HUGE just like the HE-01. The True Spirit 140 is similar to the Archon (which I'm using right now). It's a good single-tower heatsink. That said, the venomous-x (which performed similarly to the Megahalems) is right on-par with the Archon in my setup. That gives you a reference performance range. Obviously Xbitlabs loves the Archon - they're able to extract more performance from it than most reviewers.

Some other thoughts:

- Try contacting Corsair? Maybe they can offer you a replacement H50 since your unit seems to be defective. I dunno - but Corsair is highly regarded on these forums. It's worth a shot. [Although I realize your unit is old, and RMA-support is unlikely at this point]

If not, then maybe the Corsair H60 or Antec 620. You get slightly increased performance over the H50 while retaining the same size.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top