Replaced WAP with switch, now no connection through switch?

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by patnshan, Sep 20, 2012.

1. patnshan

patnshan n00b

Hello,
    I have my new router up and running. As part of the upgrade, I replaced an old WRT54G I had been using as a wired WAP and switch in my living room with a Trendnet 8 port gigabit switch. I was getting good connection of my TV, XBOX, Blu Ray players through the LAN ports on the WAP before. Now I replaced that with the switch and get nothing. I thought the switch was plug and play and I'd have to do nothing. The connection lights are on but the devices say they can't get an IP address from the router. Any idea why? For reference, I am using the Buffalo G450 router and another one of these switches In another room.
    Any idea what I should try next?
    Thanks,
    Pay

2. AcidBurn

AcidBurn [H]ard|Gawd

Make sure their isn't a specific uplink port that has to be used on the switch and your going straight from the router to the switch.

3. /usr/home

/usr/home [H]ardness Supreme

Sounds like the old WAP was doing DHCP. If you set a static IP on a device on that switch does it work then?

4. goodcooper

goodcooper [H]ardForum Junkie

if it's gig switch they should all be auto-mdix

i would test your router make sure the DHCP is still up on it and etc... sounds like something is wrong with the uplink though...

5. patnshan

patnshan n00b

I checked and I had it router > switch > switch (which I thought you could do??). I changed it to router > switch and router > switch and now it works.
    Question though. Can't you stack switches?
    Thanks much!
    Pat

6. goodcooper

goodcooper [H]ardForum Junkie

all depends on how they're configured...