Replaced RAM, worked for a few minutes...

Nate_MachV

Gawd
Hi all,

I usually don't have too many problems with my computer but, recently I've been having issues getting it to post. It turns on for a few moments and then turns off after about 30 seconds, without going to bios or even giving my usb porst any power. I contacted my Tech Support (gasp! I bought a FNW computer) and they've been quite helpful, replaced my RAM with higher quality for no charge and have been helping me eliminate other possible causes.

I received my new RAM and installed it, the computer worked for a few minutes... booted up and and everything seemed to be working. But, it wasn't, it turned off before my excitement had gone. So now it seems I'm back at square one.

What I wanted to know is if there is anything I can do to try and get it to work without asking tech support again. This is even more complicated as I live in the Arctic where everything and anything I need has to be shipped by the only means accessible. Airplane. It's not as easy as running to the local computer shop for a new piece.

any help would be appreciated.

Try removing all peripherals before booting.

Boot with just the bare minimum and see if that has any effect.

Also have you tried re-seating the heat sink and fan?

Can you take 30 seconds get into the BIOS and look at the temperatures?

Did you try a single stick of RAM?
Did you try different slots?
What RAM is it?
What are your system specs (mobo/cpu/ram/psu/etc)?

I know the stuff below sounds like a lot of work, but things could go wrong when you're inside your case, so its best to play it safe and test from the bare essentials.

However, answer my questions above before trying the stuff below...

/*------------- </cut n paste> -------------*/
If you have both the 20/24 pin main ATX connector plugged in, AND the 4-Pin ATX12V P4 CPU connector plugged in, then the board should boot fine.

You could test the PSU. Jump start it (on the main atx connector, short the green wire with any black wire, using a paperclip), and see if it stays on. If not, then its a faulty PSU. If it works then proceed.

Setup everything outside of the case, with the mobo on top of its cardboard box. Plug in only the essentials:
- PSU (namely: main 20/24-pin ATX connector and 4-pin ATX12V P4 CPU Connector)
- CPU w/ HSF
- Single stick of ram
- Videocard if there is no onboard video
- Monitor
- Keyboard
- System speaker/buzzer

* Use a screwdriver if your board doesnt have an onboard power switch. Jump the two power switch leads to turn the power on.

If it won't post, try different RAM slots. If it still won't post, pull out the ram (so no ram in the system) and listen for error beeps. If none, pull the vidcard and listen for error beeps. If none, re-seat the CPU/HSF and try again. Report back with results if you're still having issues.

thanks, I'll try some of these things out tommorow... long day at work today.

Sorry, I thought I had my specs as my sig...

X6800 (3.47ghz)
P52N32- SLI DLX
BFGTech 7950gx2
2X CM2X1024 8500 CD
600watt Silverstone PSU

I edited my message to include my specs... anyways, I'm beginning to wonder if it's not a temp issue... reason being is that the cover of my cpu is blazing hot now, even without being on too long (and wouldn't it shut down to avoid damage?). I'll have to hook up an old ps2 keyboard to access bios as the tarantula I use is a USB keyboard and doesn't work in bios (atleast not that I can figure out :S )

I edited my message to include my specs... anyways, I'm beginning to wonder if it's not a temp issue... reason being is that the cover of my cpu is blazing hot now, even without being on too long (and wouldn't it shut down to avoid damage?). I'll have to hook up an old ps2 keyboard to access bios as the tarantula I use is a USB keyboard and doesn't work in bios (atleast not that I can figure out :S )

You live in the arctic, right? Isn't that where you keep things in refrigerators to keep them from freezing? :cool:

You live in the arctic, right? Isn't that where you keep things in refrigerators to keep them from freezing? :cool:

I've never had that problem, as my apartment has heating... it's really tough working with computers once winter comes because there is always, and I stress always an electric current threatening to jump out of your fingertips. Static is a huge problem in such dry cold weather, literally everything you touch will give you a jolt.

Back on topic, I powered up my computer with a ps2 keyboard and got into bios... I checked my temps on my cpu... it kept climbing :confused:. I turned it off at 75c. So, temperatures are too high on my processor, where do I go from here?

My h20 cooler seems to be still spewing out cold air, but I'm not sure it's running down the tubes to the processor (they are black and I can't see through them).

Back