Replace xbox 360 optical drive?

swatbat

[H]F Junkie
The optical drive on my 360 is messing up(someone slamed the tray in) and I'm wondering if it is as simple as buying a repalcement drive pulled from another 360 and dropping it in or will I need to flash the new drive with the consoles info?

I'm not looking to bypass the copy protection, just replace the drive as I can get a drive for 50 bucks vs the 270 for a new 360.

Anyway have any info on this?

Thanks

Yes, You need the drive key from your old drive and you need to flash it to your new drive. xbox-scene.com has all this info

If you buy the exact same drive as you have now (model and firmware,) you can actually just take the logic board off your current drive, switch it onto the replacement drive, and not have to bother flashing. The first thing i would do though is take the top of the drive off, grab the strongest alcohol you can find, and just swipe the laser lens with a Q-tip.

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=626623&view=findpost&p=4136007

If you buy the exact same drive as you have now (model and firmware,) you can actually just take the logic board off your current drive, switch it onto the replacement drive, and not have to bother flashing. The first thing i would do though is take the top of the drive off, grab the strongest alcohol you can find, and just swipe the laser lens with a Q-tip.

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=626623&view=findpost&p=4136007

Yea I started to find the info after I posted the question. I'll have to order a different drive and swap the boards. My drive reads the disks fine. Just doesn't want to edject.

Yea I started to find the info after I posted the question. I'll have to order a different drive and swap the boards. My drive reads the disks fine. Just doesn't want to edject.

I actually came across a quick fix for that once, but don't remember where. The drive belt gets stretched out and starts losing traction. You can just replace it with a rubber band, but it seemed like a decent pain in the ass.

I actually came across a quick fix for that once, but don't remember where. The drive belt gets stretched out and starts losing traction. You can just replace it with a rubber band, but it seemed like a decent pain in the ass.

Yea I was debating on repairing the drive but if I can get a new replacement for 50 bucks and just swap the boards I'm all for that. Besides I'll have extra parts for if it fails again.

Back