Replace (Upgrade) RAID Controller / Virtual Disk Migration / PERC h310 >> 9271-8i

Burn23

Gawd
Joined
May 24, 2000
Messages
914
Problem: I have an H310 and want to upgrade since I just ordered an expander (Intel res2sv240).

This Dell website says I can migrate SAS controllers from H310 to H710, or even better an H710P. I should be able to migrate and maintain an online virtual disk (like, my RAID-10 OS volume). That's great since H710P is a great card, but I want to go bigger/faster:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/servers/f/906/t/19453038
Disk migration pointers:

• Supports migration of VDs from PERC H700 and H800 to PERC H710P and H810
• Supports migration of volumes created within H710, H710P, or H810
• Supports migration of volumes created on H310 to H710, H710P, or H810
• Does not support migration from H700 or H800 to H310
• Does not support migration from H710, H710P, or H810 to H310

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/storage/Storlink/PERC_8/en/UG_PERC8_en.pdf


Now, consider that H710P = LSI 9266-8i.

Should it make sense that I could go H310 >> LSI 9271-8i?

Both cards share the LSI SAS2208 chipset, H710 or 9266-8i and 9271-8i, so it should work, right?!

I really hope this works. 9271-8i is PCIe 3.0, already has fastpath built on, and is just an all-around better controller for damn near the same price. It would make this SSD cluster idea I have pretty killer. I cringe at the idea of rebuilding again if I buy it and can't migrate.
 
I migrated from a LSI 9286 to a Dell H810 but then I tried to go back to the H810 I got errors on imports.

I think there maybe issues from going from Dell to LSI but not vice versa.
 
Back
Top