Replace PSU fan?

dr.stevil

[H]F Junkie
So I have an EVGA 750w PSU that I'm using in my HTPC that is quite noisy (lots of whooshing air noise). It's clearly not defective... and besides being slightly loud, I'm perfectly happy with it. I'm not wanting to deal with selling it and buying another power supply as I've already dumped a stupid amount of money into this build.... so I was considering swapping out the fan with something quieter.

I just want to make sure that I'm not wasting my time (and voiding the warranty) for nothing. I assume they use a standard 3-4 pin fan header like any other computer fan?

I'm pretty sure that the fan is an oddball size too (like 135mm or something). I'm guessing a 140mm or 120mm would probably do the job just fine? Any other advice or help is appreciated (and yes, I'm aware that the inside of a PSU can be dangerous if not taken seriously)

I think most PSUs use a 2 pin connection, unless it is one of those fancy PSUs with monitoring capabilities, in which case it probably uses a 3 pin. I would try to make sure you get a fan with similar specs.

Honestly I doubt you will get much of an improvement if its wind noise rather than motor noise.

I think most PSUs use a 2 pin connection, unless it is one of those fancy PSUs with monitoring capabilities, in which case it probably uses a 3 pin. I would try to make sure you get a fan with similar specs.

Honestly I doubt you will get much of an improvement if its wind noise rather than motor noise.

The last PSU fan I did had a 2 pin connector. Honestly the only reason I really did it was because I was exceedingly poor at the time and couldn't afford the ~$50 for a new PSU but could barely afford the ~$10 for a new fan. (was a small unit for a ITX case)

Replacing the fan is something I wouldn't recommend unless you're quite comfortable and have the supplies to solder the wires together and use heat shrink tubing to protect the joint.

Back