Replace my DC?

TechieSooner

Supreme [H]ardness
What I'd like to do is add a second server on the network, transfer the roles, and repurpose the old server for something else.

Any step by step guides out there that cover this? I just want to make sure the network isn't dependant upon the old server anymore. I know the basic process but a step by step would be helpful, since I haven't done this in awhile.

Thanks!

Edit- Original server is 2003... Destination will probably be 2008.

Last edited:
Are you running SBS, standard, enterprise? NT, 2000, 2003, 2008?

Follow the applicable article from MS and you may be alright, transfering FSMO roles can her harry at times

I edited it. Original is a 2003, destination will probably be 2008.
Both standard.

Good article K1pp3r... Some of their links are broken but it's a good step by step, pretty much how I remember. Pretty simple :D

You mean I can't just throw a 2008 server onto the network and it all replicate over? :)

Those technet articles are ridiculously in depth, what's the short notes of what it takes to upgrade the schema?

Used to be just adprep /forestprep and then adprep /domainprep

You mean I can't just throw a 2008 server onto the network and it all replicate over? :)

Those technet articles are ridiculously in depth, what's the short notes of what it takes to upgrade the schema?

Used to be just adprep /forestprep and then adprep /domainprep

I just finished reading the 2008 admin companion for my own purposes, and discussing this that's all it said to do.

Back