• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Replace my 3870x2 question

DayTrader

Weaksauce
Joined
Feb 13, 2008
Messages
90
I'm currently using a single Asus EAH3870X2/G/3DHTI/1G (with 4DVI video outs) with 2 monitors. Main monitor: Viewsonic VX2435WM 24" Secondary monitor: POS 17" or 19" (I don't recall for sure) generic el-cheap-o lcd display

My beef is that when gaming (COD4 and Left4Dead, for example) at 1900x1200 this single card isn't quite enough. In all of the sniper maps in COD4, I get a lot of "artifacts" on the screen. In L4D, the card simply overheats and goes into protection if I bump any of my AA/AF/etc settings up. Even when it doesn't overheat itself, because the card vents all it's hot air into my case, it makes everything else in the case run hot. I plan to make the move to H2O cooling eventually......but I'm not ready to do so now. I'm using Asus' "Smart Doctor" to control the fans on the card and it works great.......but my case just isn't the best for air cooling. If I OC the card, I do get rid of some of the on-screen artifacts but then run into cooling issues. I haven't played Crysis in a while but I will go back to it sooner or later (I know that game creates problems for every card out there but I just figured I'd mention it.......although it's not a high priority of mine)

I'm thinking my best option is to sell the card (it'd be fine for someone who owns a case with better air cooling than mine) and replace it with a new higher-end ATI card or x-fire some non-top-of-the-line ATI cards. (vs. adding a second card to my current setup and crossfiring them - which was my original intent ---- I actually ordered a rear-venting ATI card from NewEgg and they sent this {albeit better card} to me instead....which was cool up until heat becomes and issue)

I don't have any plans to go to a bigger monitor than I'm using now (at least for the time being / 12 months) so I 'think' I'll be looking for some recommendations on what my next move should be.

-- I'll add that I have a $200 gift certificate for NewEgg that's burning a hole in my pocket. ;) I'd really like to replace the pos Linksys WRK54G wireless router that I've been battling with since I bought it but I don't think there's a cheap solution to my vid-card issues without buying a new card/s.
 
I'd probably get a GTX 280 from newegg for around $200 after rebate if you want to use the voucher, that seems to be the best card for the money for high res gaming

Alternatively, you could buy a new cooler for your card, but its getting on now and is easily outperformed by single chip cards such as the 4890 and GTX 260 216 so i wouldnt spend any money on it

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130427
 
There's a Sapphire 4890 for $205 after instant, mail-in and HardOCP rebates: Sapphire 4890
-- the HardOCP rebate ends today. Usually I'd do a lot of reading before making a decision but given that I only really have today to move on it, is this bad-boy worth snagging?

--- I assume it'll perform better than my 3870x2.
 
There's a Sapphire 4890 for $205 after instant, mail-in and HardOCP rebates: Sapphire 4890
-- the HardOCP rebate ends today. Usually I'd do a lot of reading before making a decision but given that I only really have today to move on it, is this bad-boy worth snagging?

--- I assume it'll perform better than my 3870x2.

If you can afford two, it will worth more :D
 
All-righty..... I'm stuck between a couple options and would appreciate some input:
....bear in mind: air cooling, 1900x1200 resolution, not opposed to oc'ing the card

1. will 1 4890 be sufficient or should I go with 2?
2. which card(s)
a. $224 Sapphire - 1000MHz (I figured the price wrong in my post above....it's $224 not $204)
b. $260 Sapphire Toxic @ 960MHz. It appears this card will easily oc to 1000MHz. I've read noise can be an issue on the card above so might the extra $36/card be $ well spent?
c. $229 Sapphire Vapor-X @ 870 MHz
Lastly, if the recommendation is to go with 2 cards, would that make 2x Toxics or Vapors the better choice given the better (and quieter) cooling? (I'm strongly leaning towards a Vapor-X {or 2 for x-fire} and oc'ing it/them which should get it/them up to around 970MHz or better)


thanks again guys for your help. gonna go run some errands and do some buying later tonight.
 
Last edited:
Two 4770's in CF would probably be nice if you can find 'em.

Rule of thumb is buy the best single graphic card solution you can afford, not all games scale with crossfire and always the card on top will get less airflow as well as the overclock is always limited by the slowest card. So i'd rather get a 4890 or GTX 275
 
Buy a single 4890 Vapor-X and a new case.

I plan to water cool everything sometime this year or next.....and my case is a TJ07 that won't be getting replaced anytime soon <--- guess I should add that to my sig.


thanks for the advice though. ;)
 
All-righty..... I'm stuck between a couple options and would appreciate some input:
....bear in mind: air cooling, 1900x1200 resolution, not opposed to oc'ing the card


c. $229 Sapphire Vapor-X @ 870 MHz


thanks again guys for your help. gonna go run some errands and do some buying later tonight.

just thought i'd follow up and say thanks...

went with the vapor-x and I'm in love. it's a great card, runs cool even with my low-air-flow case and rocks out on all my games.

thanks again fellas!
 
OP, you need to clean out the heatsink in your GPU. if your card is going into protection mode and giving you artifacts, its overheating. You can easily fix this, and may be able to wait till the newer generation parts later this year.
 
I'd probably get a GTX 280 from newegg for around $200 after rebate if you want to use the voucher, that seems to be the best card for the money for high res gaming

Alternatively, you could buy a new cooler for your card, but its getting on now and is easily outperformed by single chip cards such as the 4890 and GTX 260 216 so i wouldnt spend any money on it

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130427

No. The HD4890 is the best card for the money. If you look, you can find them for 160-180 dollars.
 
Back
Top