• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Replace FSP550-60PLN

ddgm

n00b
Joined
Jan 30, 2017
Messages
1
Hello all.
I have a Fortran FSP550--60PLN that developed a smoke problem. It was powering a dual xeon rig that I had, before becoming a Snowbird. I didn't use it for about 3 or 4 years and one day last summer, I decided to fire it up and no joy. The specs of the PS are FSP Group FSP550-PLN 550 W EPS 12 V active PFC power supply. I would like to replace it and was wondering if you kind folks could recommend something . I wouldn't mind maybe going up to a 750 W or so.
Thanks, Doug
 
Seasonic G series 550 or 650 watt would be the best current bang/buck.
 
If I were to guess what smoked, it'd be the capacitors. FSP likes to use shit brands like CapXon, Teapo or OST which inevitably fail. I saw a few pictures of your unit, and it looks like it uses Teapo in really cramped spaces.

I have two FSP460-60GLC and one Antec that uses the same board which all use these pencil thin CapXon capacitors which failed and are waiting on cap kits. Replacements are hard to find because of the non-standard size, 8x20 2200uF caps at 16v don't really exist, 1800 uF is as high as reputable caps go. I'll have to use some bodge wire and heatshrink to move one of the caps away from the secondary heatsink.
 
I had that same PSU, also in a dual-xeon computer. Lasted for about 10 years then stopped working. The good thing is that the ATX12V spec is compatible with, and basically an evolution of the older EPS12V spec. Things like 24+8 power connectors that began with the EPS12V spec are found on almost all new power supplies.
 
Back
Top