Replace ball with optical sensor?

ike989

[H]ard|Gawd
I have an old MS ball mouse that I like the housing on. Has anyone replaced the innards of a mouse? I was thinking of taking the optical sensor, board, etc from an extra MS Optical and putting it into this older ball mouse.

Any thoughts or experience?

thnx

Unless you've got the guts of an optical mouse laying around, it wouldn't be any cheaper than just buying a new mouse.

I can't think of any ball mice I've liked more than my optical mice, so I don't really see the point anyway.

You may want to change your thinking, to how to replace the housing on an msoptical with the housing you like. That may be an easier task... though I have no experience. Post pics when you finish! :D

@ DeathFromBelow, just because you don't like 'em doesn't make the question invalid

Thanks for the encouragement. I'll get to work on it and let everyone know how it goes.

@ DeathFromBelow, just because you don't like 'em doesn't make the question invalid

What, you missed that memo? :D

Take pics of the process, i would pick up a cheap optical or find one for free, good luck.

bump?

so what happened?

Well, I started getting everything together and this happened:

MeNBen.jpg

My son was born and took up all of my time. I'm not abandoning the project but it's not really a priority at this point. When things get rolling again, I'll post some updates and pics of the work.

I say you should take pictures of the old ball mouse and post them. My thought is, there's probably a optical mouse that has the same shape, that you just haven't ran across yet. However, this being hardforum, I'm sure someone has :cool:

Back