Replace ASRock Z97E-ITX WiFi antenna?

DarkDubzs

Limp Gawd
So the ASRock Z97E-ITX has Wi-Fi 802.11a/b/g/n/ac capabilities on board. It has two antenna connectors on the rear I/O and comes with a detachable wifi antenna, but it is not what we usually see for wifi antennas, as you can see in the pictures from the link above. I would prefer it to have two antennas like this that you see on routers. Can I do that and still have it operate normally? I know theyre called rubber duck antennas, but theres so many different kinds, idk which would be the right ones for this purpose. So which would be the correct ones and where is the best place (website) I can find them?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Does it work and why replace it? The antenna are built into it, multi-directional.
You might want to relay this to Asrock and see if using aftermarket and not the OEM is actually doable.

the picture makes it look like it has a standard sma connector so you should be able to and it would depend what you want to do with it you could get a roof mounted yagi or a cantenna and do long range point to point you could toss higher gain antenna or just remotely mount the existing ones.

You will likely experience a reduction in performance with the rubber duck antenna but you could use them the one it comes with is 2 omnidirectional antenna to be placed for best signal.

the picture makes it look like it has a standard sma connector so you should be able to and it would depend what you want to do with it you could get a roof mounted yagi or a cantenna and do long range point to point you could toss higher gain antenna or just remotely mount the existing ones.

You will likely experience a reduction in performance with the rubber duck antenna but you could use them the one it comes with is 2 omnidirectional antenna to be placed for best signal.
Thanks, im not going to do a big antenna kind of thing, just want to replace the included antenna with some small black antennas.

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1040727395&postcount=178
It's not something new, you can just replace them with ones fitted with SMA connectors.
Thanks for the link. Someone there linked to these which seem perfect since it also says to work with dual band, so it could let my pc connect to my 5ghz wifi band i have.
Although, someone else did this which seems way easier, free, and like a better solution. Then there wouldnt even be antennas sticking out, and they would never get in the way. I could just use some double sided sticky square things to attach it and nobody would ever even notice it.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I just pulled off the antennas on my old TP Link router and with using ssidnsider I was able to gain about 10db in signal strength (from -72db to -60 ish) from the oem crap antenna. I think the ones I put on were 5db ones but not entirely sure on that. You should be fine replacing them (I assume they are the same as on the z87 itx).

Back