• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Replace 7950GT with what?

Joined
Jan 29, 2010
Messages
1
I have a 3-year old system with a Gigabyte 965P-DS3 motherboard and a 7950 GT video card. The fan on the video card recently started making an annoying loud high pitched whine and so I think I need to replace it. The 7950's performance is ok for me, but I'm willing to buy a card with better performance as long as it costs under $100, preferably under $75. My video needs on this PC are pretty minimal: I originally got the 7950 to support HalfLife 2 and Counterstrike. If they release a new update to HalfLife I will probably try that, otherwise no gaming.

Let me know if you have any advice on a card that (1) will work on my system, (2) is better than the 7950 GT, and (3) costs under $100, preferably under $75.

Thanks in advance!
 
Something like an nvidia 9600GT or an amd HD4670 would work fine, both about $75
 
If you don't mind buying used,on the forum they have 4870 and 5770 for ~ $100.
 
Too bad it's not a few months in the past...260s were commonly going in the low-$100s AR for quite a while there :(.

Alternate idea... Is there any kind of stability issue with your card now? If it's just the fan going out, you could replace the HSF for $20, $30 max. It's long since gone from the market, but I replaced the stock HSF on my old EVGA 7950 w/ a AC Accelero (rev 1 if I recall) - paid like $16 for it. It dropped temps from mid-high 80s to low 60s (passively run; 250mm side panel fan in my case tho), if I recall.... There's no sense in upgrading IMO, if you're not having performance/playability issues, not looking to play the much more demanding recent stuff, aren't looking to up your res, and so on...

[edit] For example, SVC has the Arctic Cooling S1 rev 2 @ $25. I thought even the r2 was long gone... Says turbo module/fan is required, but I'd venture to say that if you've got good airflow in your case, esp. w/ a panel fan blowing in the general direction at least, you can run passive/pseudo-passive no problem.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top