Repeated DDoS attacks

R08813

Weaksauce
I've been working on my friend's laptop on and off. I've been able to ward of the attacks for short periods of time, but anywhere he goes, he gets DDoS attacks. No mattaer what Wi-Fi connection he is using, he gets attacks from different IPs after about 5-10 minutes of being connected. I think Azureus seems to be a culprit. The attacks usually take place shortly after Azureus connects. I have changed the ports in Azureus several times, and it will fix the problem for a day or 2, but it just keeps happening. I've installed System Mechanic 6 on the laptop, with Kaspersky AV/AH. Any ideas?? It's very frustrating!

Since this is happening whenever ony when Azureus runs, its highly doubtful its a DDoS attack. You're just seeing bittorent do what it normally does. Send out connections to peers, and receive connections from peers. Try lowering the maximum simultaneous outbound connections, and the Max connections globally.

I guess I'll try that, but what makes me think that it's a ddos attack is the fact the Kaspersky Anti-Hacker pops up saying there was a ddos attack, then there is a limited connection (network config says there is a connection, but it's unable to load web pages ect..) I also have the same config on my laptop and desktop with no problems.

Well, I thought about your suggestion, and I didn't do exactly that, but it helped me think outside the box and re-direct my focus. The whole time I've been trying to repel "DDoS attacks" it was the Anti-Hacker software picking up the Azureus transactions like you said ("doing what Azureus does"). So rather than changing the settings in Azureus, I checked Kaspersky and lo and behold, my friend must have limited the connections on Azureus the first time Kaspersky picked it up while running simultaneously. I installed System MEch 6 for him a few months ago, but it doesn't ask you for app rules until the programs are run for the first time under the AV software's supervision. I must not have been around when he ran it for the fist time and he must have accidentally clicked "Block All Activity". Anyway, PROBLEM SOLVED!! Thank you for the help... I just didn't expect it to pop up as a DDoS attack, but it makes sense to me now.

Back