repairing SNES games?

matt167

[H]ard|Gawd
I have a copy of Super Ghouls and Ghosts that I bought used in the mid 90's. It was always finicky about how it fit in the machine but always worked after a few tries but last it was powered on was a few years ago. I think the board is worn on it since it's probably an ex rental. I don't remember where I got it, but either a local game store or Kmart when they had used stuff

I know a few reproduction boards are available that are traced for modern Eproms, but theoretically, the pins can be jumpered oposite of the wiring needed to use 'donor' boards right?. I know that a couple pins are swapped for the original ROMS, to the programmable Eproms that people use for reproductions.

Anyone know what pins cross? I don't want to use a donor since I don't feel it's needed and SG&G is a $25 game. The replacement boards are about $5, plus capacitors needed. I have the ability to make the repair.

Have you tried the basics of cleaning the edge connector pins?

Some have luck with q-tips and rubbing alcohol if it isn't too dirty. Sometimes you need to get more physical and get the game bits to open the cartridge up and use a shop rag with some turtle chrome polish it to get a good cleaning.

Yeah, Q tips are what I always cleaned them up with and this was the only game that had issues . I have not fired up the SNES in a couple years but I have a brand new clone system coming in a few days. I still have my original SNES but the power brick and RF adapter are somewhere that is not where the console is.

I used to put a folded piece of card stock or something along the side of the game just to hold tension since it was kind of loose. But that made it work unless it was bumped. I have to get game bits anyway, since all of my battery games are likely suffering dead batteries. I know Super Mario World was.

I'm going to order some of those 1 Up cards too, since a few of the channels on Youtube swear by them

If it would play with being pressed one way on the system i would try to dissassemble the snes and reform the pins (pull pins inward for tighter pressure). Mabye a dental pick or small screwdriver.

The connector is removable from the system board so it could be replaced but dont know if they are on ebay or not by now like the 72 pin nes connectors are.

My bet is the pins deformed from a cartridge being left in the snes for a long time.

Also looks for signs of liquid spilled in the snes. Maybe it needs cleaned?

I got a snes off ebay years ago with something spilled in it among other issues it had.

I now use a brand new clone system called the " Super Players Entertainment System " which works just like the original and looks just like the later model SNES. SG&G acts the exact same as it did in the real thing. Has to be in just so, but once it's working it plays fine. The edge connector does look worn on the very bottom. Pins have some brass missing. I have to open it up and see how bad.

Back