Repairing my kids' PC

titan97

Gawd
Referencing this thread, it looks like my kids' "gaming" PC is in need of some repair(s). I'm looking for advice, so let's start with the given questions:

1) What will you be doing with this PC? My kids play some older FPS and strategy games (MoHAA, Portal, Half-Life (the original), Command & Conquer: The First Decade, etc.). The now-dead PC also did double duty as a HTPC, streaming content from my server via XBMC to my living room TV. I'd like to keep the HTPC aspect, but it is a low priority. This is also my main Folding@Home rig so it stays running 24/7.
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included? Sub-$500, out the door.
3) Which country do you live in? Raleigh, NC, USA
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? Mobo, probably CPU, probably RAM, possibly HSF, possibly SATA optical drive (depending upon replacement mobo if no IDE port)
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Possibly Phenom x4 9150e, possibly 4 x 2GB G.Skill DDR2, Corsair TX750 PSU, generic ATX case, IDE optical drive, GTX 460, Coolermaster TX3 HSF w/ Noctua fan, SATA HDD, SATA OCZ Synapse cache SSD, PCIe 1x Intel Wireless-n card
6) Will you be overclocking? Oh ya. Mostly the GPU, as the CPU got flaky when I tried to drive it too hard.
7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it? ASUS ML239H, 23" @ 1920 x 1080
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC? ASAP
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? If I'm sticking with the GTX 460, I'd like to eventually pick up another one for SLI. PCIe 1x slot for reusing existing wireless NIC. I don't need: RAID, Firewire, USB 3.0, SATA 6Gb/s, eSATA, Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU), UEFI, etc.
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? I have legit keys for Win8 Pro and Win7 Ultimate. Both x64.

If I want to reuse the CPU, I will more-or-less be limited to mobos based on either the AMD 785 chipset or the nForce 980a. Either of which would also allow me to reuse my RAM (assuming the RAM and CPU are all working). A more modern chipset would require CPU and RAM upgrades. The dead mobo is mATX, but the case will take a full sized ATX mobo.

I am also considering saving the CPU & RAM for a future dedicated HTPC build. All I would need would be a case, PSU, and mobo (assuming onboard video).

Also, I have a Newegg Preferred Account, so I may be able to increase the budget somewhat by relying on the deferred interest & monthly payments. Yes, I know how we [H]er's now feel about the 'Egg. If Amazon had a similar gimmick, I'd switch in a heartbeat.

Given the processor you have, you may be better served with an upgrade of the processor, motherboard, and RAM. Are you willing to sacrifice CPU overclockability for cost savings?

Are you willing to sacrifice CPU overclockability for cost savings?

Yes and no.

First, I want this PC back up and running, so with that in mind I am willing to sacrifice overclockability if it gets me up and running. It would also be nice to see a performance boost above my existing CPU, but I'm not holding my breath on this idea.

However, if this means that I'm limiting myself to a 2nd tier mobo maker, then I'd rather not go that route. I would prefer to stay with the more well known mobo makers: ASUS or Gigabyte. Perhaps AsRock or MSI?

I wouldn't really consider AsRock a good "tier" to choose from.

Basically the processor you'll most likely end up with will have some room for overclocking, but it wont be an unlocked multiplier "K" processor that allows extreme overclocks in the 4Ghz+ range.. but even at stock clocks it will be faster than your current processor, even if that processor is overclocked.

So just to clarify. you'll get a non "extreme overclockable" processor but the rest of the components will be top tier quality parts.

Sounds good. What specific items would you recommend?

In addition to the NewEgg Preferred Account, as mentioned above, I should also mention I'm an Amazon Prime member, so Prime-eligible items would be nice.

Exactly what model RAM is that you have that you could reuse?

edit
Disregard that question, had a brain fart and didn't realize it was just DDR2. I'll get you a build list later on today if no one else beats me to it. Assuming I don't forget.

Alright, went to sleep a little early last night. Here's a build list for you.

$185 - Intel Core i5-3470 Quad-Core Processor
$125 - MSI 1155 Motherboards (Z77A-GD55)
$45 - Corsair 8GB (1x8GB) DDR3 1333 MHz

Should be right at $355 shipped. If you want to overclock beyond 4Ghz on the CPU, then I'd suggest going with the i5 3570k. It should hit 4.5Ghz stable easily with a good cooler such as the CM 212+ EVO or non-EVO, should be around $30 shipped for it. As for an optical drive, you'll need a new one so just search for one under $20. They are pretty much all identical these days.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Ended up with an i5-3570k, the MSI mobo, 4x4GB DDR3 2133, and Hyper-212+. Using NewEgg's no payments/no interest for 12 months, I rationalized the extra expense to myself.

You most likely wasted money on the 2133 RAM, since it's going to end up running at 1600 anyway unless you overclock it and if you do intend to overclock it, you're gonna gain like maybe 5% performance if that. You also limited yourself to a maximum of 16GB, no chance for 32GB now. Not that you'll need 16GB anytime soon, much less 16GB; but it's still nice knowing that if you would, you could. Now you'll have to start over.

I realize the performance gains from the mem OC is minimal, but the cost difference wasn't substantial, so I went for it. I did pay attention to the CAS Latency, and I made sure that the CL for the 2133 is 9, so at least I didn't get the CL10 or CL11 stuff.

Regarding the memory max, I kept reading that adding memory to an existing pair of DIMMs was hit or miss. It seems that the best option was to get the amount of RAM that you wanted for the most reasonable price, currently. Don't worry about adding more in the future, as it might not be 100% compatible. I will most likely be starting over if I wanted to get 32GB anyway. Hell, the 8GB I had in the machine before now never seemed to top out, so I feel comfortable with the 16GB.

I realize the performance gains from the mem OC is minimal, but the cost difference wasn't substantial, so I went for it. I did pay attention to the CAS Latency, and I made sure that the CL for the 2133 is 9, so at least I didn't get the CL10 or CL11 stuff.

Regarding the memory max, I kept reading that adding memory to an existing pair of DIMMs was hit or miss. It seems that the best option was to get the amount of RAM that you wanted for the most reasonable price, currently. Don't worry about adding more in the future, as it might not be 100% compatible. I will most likely be starting over if I wanted to get 32GB anyway. Hell, the 8GB I had in the machine before now never seemed to top out, so I feel comfortable with the 16GB.

Was said memory 1.5v?

Then you risk damage to your CPU using 1.65v on your memory.

Back