Repairing a Windows XP installation?

FreakyT

n00b
What would happen if I used Windows XP Home to a repair an installation of XP Pro? Would I just end up with Home instead of Pro, or would I not be allowed to perform the operation?

I wouldn't recommend it. In another thread we figured one of two things would happen. A. crash-ola. B. you would get the OS you repaired with, in this case, Pro.

Why?

Well, to put it simply, I want to "Upgrade" my pirated copy of the OS to a legal copy. Because of the fact that I never use any of Pro's extra features, I thought I might buy home instead.
I need to do a repair installation because my computer stopped booting recently. (I get a blank screen when the welcome screen should come up.) It WILL start in Safe Mode, so I've tried System Restore, but to no avail. It seems that repairing the installation might work, so I figured I'd give that a shot, but I couldn't find my copy of the XP CD, so I thought I'd buy one instead.

That is a perfectly good reason. :)

In fact... It was the same reason in the other thread. ;)

I didn't get an answer from the other thread, however, the jist went like this.

Try the repair install, maybe it will 'convert' the install to a legal install. If not the general consensus was, try it, if it fails you need to reinstall. This follows the general rules, when changing OSes, format the drive. If your lucky, no reinstall needed, and the repair method will work.

Let us know the results. GL.

Back