• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Reocvery

MoDsOuRcEdOtNeT

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 31, 2003
Messages
469
Hi, my 120 gig maxtor failed and its out of warrenty so how can I try to revive it? I've tried hitting it, freezing it and shaking it but it still wont read, its detected, but wont read. Also, it spins off and on when trying to read.
 
You should never attempt physical 'recovery' methods yourself, as they're generally myths and will do more damage than good. Being out of warranty is insignificant since even if it were new Maxtor would only replace the drive itself - no data will be returned (they do not provide recovery services). Not to be harsh but what you should have done was contact a reputable data recovery company and get opinions and perhaps price quotes before attempting to treat it with contempt. A logical recovery (meaning they dont physically do anything to it) will run you $500 and under while a full physical recovery will begin around $500 and go up (exponentially) from there. How much is your data worth to you?
 
It's worth hardly anything, so I guess just a good ol drive replacement. Wonder if it will fetch a few bucks on ebay :rolleyes:
 
MoDsOuRcEdOtNeT said:
It's worth hardly anything, so I guess just a good ol drive replacement. Wonder if it will fetch a few bucks on ebay :rolleyes:

It's very possible, I've personally purchased non-working drives on Ebay for parts. Just be sure to describe the problem fully, don't want any negative feedback.
 
Yep, I've sold many a dead hard drive for parts on e-bay and i'm still 100% positive
As-is is the universal buyer-beware copout on e-bay ;)
 
Back
Top