Renting Console Games

shadowsz14

Weaksauce
I've been thinking of renting console games, and one reason has been try before you buy. Will the same save games work for the rent and the one that I would buy?

Consoles cannot tell one copy of a game from another. They're all the same.

Renting is the only way to do it as far as I'm concerned..especially with $60 games these days. I do plan on actually buying Forza 2 when it drops though...gotta spend a lot of quality time with my sweet rides. :cool:

I found out they are really anal at blockbuster about renting out newer games. You actually have to provide a valid credit card for your account and not just a debit card with a mastercard/visa logo on it. Pissed me off that I will probably drop my blockbuster online commitment and switch to gamefly or atleast netflix

^ I created my Blockbuster account using a Visa issued debit card from Bank of America and had no problems. I created the account to rent out Marvel: Ultimate Alliance for the Xbox 360 the week it was released, too.

Renting games is the only way to go with consoles..
It is prolly the biggest advantage consoles have over the PC.. Most games are of the play thru once over the weekend type.. No reason to own a game you will never play again.. Lets you save your cash for the games you really want to keep, the ones you will play thru more than once or twice....
Games like Oblivion and online type games excluded, naturally... But you still get to try them b4 you buy..

I remember when you could rent pc games.. That went away when cd burners started to become common...

i can buy a game new for 59 when it comes out - play it for a couple weeks and sell it used on ebay for 55.

Ends up being about the same thing.

They make you provide a valid cc number for all 360 games and I imagine its that way for ps3 and wii to. I hate renting games cause my mom has to do it for me and I guess well when your 18 having your mom rent you a game is embarrassing :eek:

rcf1987 said:
They make you provide a valid cc number for all 360 games and I imagine its that way for ps3 and wii to. I hate renting games cause my mom has to do it for me and I guess well when your 18 having your mom rent you a game is embarrassing :eek:

LOL, man, I know what you mean. Been there, done that.

shadowsz14 said:
I've been thinking of renting console games, and one reason has been try before you buy. Will the same save games work for the rent and the one that I would buy?

If you plan on renting games, you may want to look into http://www.gamefly.com/. It's pretty much the Netflix equivalent for games.

Hulk said:
which one is better?

And what are their cheapest monthly rates?
In my case I'd say Gamefly, because apparently only pain in the ass 12 year olds rent from blockbuster and return the games looking like they've been fucking chewed up by their little dog. Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaar.

GORANKAR said:
Renting games is the only way to go with consoles..
It is prolly the biggest advantage consoles have over the PC.. Most games are of the play thru once over the weekend type.. No reason to own a game you will never play again.. Lets you save your cash for the games you really want to keep, the ones you will play thru more than once or twice....
Games like Oblivion and online type games excluded, naturally... But you still get to try them b4 you buy..

I remember when you could rent pc games.. That went away when cd burners started to become common...

amazes me how many people actually are able to play through an entire game in a weekend, let alone a matter of hours, i have NFS:MW, N3, GoW, PGR3, and a few others, and i havent completely beaten any of them, but then again, i play maybe an hour or two a week typically.....a week with alot of gaming would be 3 or more hours collectively in a week

so renting games for me is good for trying out a game before i buy it, wish like hell i would have rented OverG Fighters, Gamestop got me for $60 on that piece of retarded crap

also consider purchasing used games from Gamestop/EB Games as an alternative to renting, you can pick up a used copy for $30-$50, and you have 7 days to decide if you like it or not and can take it back for a refund or exchange if you don't....i will never buy new games again (other than GoW, well worth the $$), used FTW

jaguax said:
Isn't it nearing $9 to rent a game these days?

$8 for 360 games, $5 for PS2/Gamecube/Xbox games at my local Movie Gallery, the only place close that rents 360 games

If you live on the east coast dont get Gamefly. They only have one distribution center which is on the west coast so you are lucky to have a one week turnaround time. They dont cross ship like Netflix does. I really wish Netflix would branch out into games since they have the best infrastructure.

I live in Ohio and I have gamefly. While I agree that it isn't the fastest, I would still say it is worth it. I know that I am not that fast at finishing games so it seems well worth it to me. Not to mention that I rent games for my roomates as well.

Back