Rendering performance: going from EIDE to SATA

Celestial Avenger

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 12, 2005
Messages
414
Right now I have some 160GB EIDE drive. Will going to a SATA drive make rendering speeds faster?

I thought that it rendering mostly relied on CPU and RAM, but will I notice a significant increase?
 
Celestial Avenger said:
Right now I have some 160GB EIDE drive. Will going to a SATA drive make rendering speeds faster?

Nope a faster CPU, or render farm :) , is the only thing that will speed up renderings assuming you have enough RAM and have optimized your scene. The possible exception might be maya... I've read that your video card is utilized during the render with newer versions but Im not sure to what extent.
 
You can decrease the time required for saves and loads by going to a faster hard drive or aray of hard drives. Sky is pretty much the limit on that. You can go from a nice new 7200RPM SATA drive all the way to massive arrays of 15K SCSI drives.
 
Back
Top