Rendering/Autocad PC upgrade advice

amittalkin

Limp Gawd
Hey, this is for my brother's PC. He is doing civil CAD work like making 3D building designs in AutoCAD and then imports into 3DS Max and render it with Vray. His current build is Dual Xeon X5650 with 24GB of RAM. But looking at current gen CPUs, it seems even upcoming Ryzen 3600 would beat this setup if I am not wrong.

So, my question is, lets say without going out of budget, what would a good upgrade from this setup? I was looking at Chinese X79 dual socket motherboard to run some E5 V2 Xeon on it. But I was not convinced much. What do You guys think?

Sorry about that, my brother was looking for something which can work with DDR3 RAM so that He won't have to buy new RAM. But now a days RAM is cheaper than before so I might tell him to get new set of DDR4. Lets say total budget is $550 around.
So with 16GB DDR4 in mind, suggest any old system which can still work as an upgrade. Like 1st gen Ryzen 1800x or 1950x ( Saw an used 1950x for $400 somewhere ). Dual E5-2695v2 any good with Chinese x79 dual socket motherboard?

As someone who uses these tools for a profession, I suggest he re-evaluate his budget.

I understand, 3D work need more powerful tools, but his work is limited to CAD design and static model rendering which doesnt require much of power.

Model rendering uses as much power as you can throw at it, even if it's static model work.

How many parts does he usually have in his models?

I have no idea about it, but its just mostly 2 to 10 storey buildings elevation designs. Its current dual xeon setup works just fine but I believe current gen 6 core CPUs can beat them because Xeon cant be overclocked.
it has around 1200 multicore Cinebench score which 3rd Gen ryzen would beat it easily. Can We count that score as valid point considering upgrade for rendering?

From my experience there are different areas where different parts of the computer matter. If you are importing 3d files of various formats a lot of these are single threaded so a best single thread ipc is useful here. The same is true on dynamics calculations and a lot of other complex stuff. Rendering is generally as much cpu multi core or even gpu you can get. Also some times in the workspace a good (supported) gpu can help a bunch if you have a lot of complex geometry in play. I would suggest either a 9900k or maybe a new Ryzen Zen 2 chip (launches next couple of weeks) which does one of 2 things either beats a 9900k or get Intel to lower price. There are already rumors of 15% price cuts incoming. Also of note you can get 32GB (2x16) of ddr4 sub $150 if you look so I would not really tie yourself to ddr3 if you can help it.

Back