• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Remuxing a BluRay

babyshark31

Gawd
2FA
Joined
Nov 5, 2008
Messages
775
Hey All,

How can I take some of the BluRays I have and remux them onto my HTPC? I don't want to lose any quality as this is mainly just a backup solution. I've got AnyDVD HD, so I can rip the BluRay to the computer, but I'm not sure how to take the files and remux them into a single MKV container. Any ideas?

Thanks
 
Last edited:
MakeMKV for all your Blu-Ray to MKV needs.

is there anything that doesn't come with decryption tech? I'm just looking for a way to take the ripped files and merge just the movie into an MKV container. I'm looking for something that is, hopefully, free
 
I haven't used makemkv, but the way I do it:
1. copy blu-ray to HD with AnyDVDHD.
2. remux from .m2ts/etc. to .mkv and convert sound to .flac with eac3to.exe (command line utility, takes some know-how to use) http://www.videohelp.com/tools/eac3to.
3. mux the .mkv video and .flac sound together with mkvmergegui http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkvtoolnix/downloads.html.

All free, except anydvdhd of course, which you already have anyway. I can give you a general idea of how to use eac3to.exe if you need. eac3to will do things like automatically glue a movie together from the playlist you select, so you could for example do a seamless branching blu-ray with 100 movie parts, and select the director's cut and it will glue all the appropriate video files into one .mkv, ditto for the sound. I like .flac because it's lossless and plays with ffdshow, which I get from shark007 codecs.
 
Last edited:
I haven't used makemkv, but the way I do it:
1. copy blu-ray to HD with AnyDVDHD.
2. remux from .m2ts/etc. to .mkv and convert sound to .flac with eac3to.exe (command line utility, takes some know-how to use) http://www.videohelp.com/tools/eac3to.
3. mux the .mkv video and .flac sound together with mkvmergegui http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkvtoolnix/downloads.html.

All free, except anydvdhd of course, which you already have anyway. I can give you a general idea of how to use eac3to.exe if you need. eac3to will do things like automatically glue a movie together from the playlist you select, so you could for example do a seamless branching blu-ray with 100 movie parts, and select the director's cut and it will glue all the appropriate video files into one .mkv, ditto for the sound. I like .flac because it's lossless and plays with ffdshow, which I get from shark007 codecs.

thanks! any way to get the sound in DTSHD-MA or TrueHD? And is there any need to do that?
 
thanks! any way to get the sound in DTSHD-MA or TrueHD? And is there any need to do that?

Funny you should ask. I've been trying to find a way, but I think you need non-free codecs. So I just convert to .flac, supposively, some sound information gets lost, but I've never watched a movie and been like "oh man the sound is f-ed up" so unless you feel like paying up, just convert to .flac. To clarify, I don't think you can get dtshd-ma or truehd sound in an .mkv (or it won't play without non-free codecs, one or the other), but if you had the appropriate non-free codec you could convert it losslessly to .flac, without the non-free codecs you supposively lose some information when converting, but it sounds fine to me.
 
Last edited:
Funny you should ask. I've been trying to find a way, but I think you need non-free codecs. So I just convert to .flac, supposively, some sound information gets lost, but I've never watched a movie and been like "oh man the sound is f-ed up" so unless you feel like paying up, just convert to .flac. To clarify, I don't think you can get dtshd-ma or truehd sound in an .mkv (or it won't play without non-free codecs, one or the other), but if you had the appropriate non-free codec you could convert it losslessly to .flac, without the non-free codecs you supposively lose some information when converting, but it sounds fine to me.
Alright that sounds fair enough. Do you know any of the pay-for software that I would need to get the HD audio? Thanks for the help so far
 
Funny you should ask. I've been trying to find a way, but I think you need non-free codecs. So I just convert to .flac, supposively, some sound information gets lost, but I've never watched a movie and been like "oh man the sound is f-ed up" so unless you feel like paying up, just convert to .flac. To clarify, I don't think you can get dtshd-ma or truehd sound in an .mkv (or it won't play without non-free codecs, one or the other), but if you had the appropriate non-free codec you could convert it losslessly to .flac, without the non-free codecs you supposively lose some information when converting, but it sounds fine to me.
no, this is not a problem. you know when you select the tracks, instead of say: 2 audio.flac, just put in 2 audio.dtshd I don't have any special things installed and it works like a charm. just put it in mkvmerge like normal. You only need proprietary stuff if you want to encode in the DD/DTS formats

instructions here: they're a bit older, so it mostly focuses on re-encoding to FLAC because at the time nothing did bitstreaming. but it tells you everything you need to know about eac3to

http://sites.google.com/site/xorphdstuff/remuxing
 
Last edited:
Interestingly enough, I've been doing what the OP wants to do all week onto my little WHS server (now with a couple more WD 2TB greenies I saw on sale I eventually have to add) and this is what I do:

-AnyDVD to a folder
-MakeMKV and just take out the main movie portion and just the DTS/DD-HD track
-Copy result to WHS for no detailed loss win

As for the DTS-HD sounds, I have set FDDShow to passthru and everything is going thru a HDMI cable to the receiver so I had no need to remux the sound at all. Honestly I kept reading all sorts of ways to redo media and transcoding and said hell with it I'm making an HTCP with HDMI bitstreaming! :D
 
no, this is not a problem. you know when you select the tracks, instead of say: 2 audio.flac, just put in 2 audio.dtshd I don't have any special things installed and it works like a charm. just put it in mkvmerge like normal. You only need proprietary stuff if you want to encode in the DD/DTS formats

instructions here: they're a bit older, so it mostly focuses on re-encoding to FLAC because at the time nothing did bitstreaming. but it tells you everything you need to know about eac3to

http://sites.google.com/site/xorphdstuff/remuxing

Are you bit-streaming or something? Because I have Windows 7 and shark007, and .dtshd in .mkv will not play. I just tried with the Last of the Mohicans Blu-ray.
BTW, excellent link, OP should definitely take a look there if he hasn't already, and bookmarked.

babyshark:
Alright that sounds fair enough. Do you know any of the pay-for software that I would need to get the HD audio? Thanks for the help so far

I don't have experience with that stuff, I would just convert to .flac, it's lossless and should encode the sound in an acceptable manner. I've done that for all my blu-rays (about 65, except 3 or 4 .ac3 sound track blu-rays) and the sound is great.
 
Last edited:
Are you bit-streaming or something? Because I have Windows 7 and shark007, and .dtshd in .mkv will not play. I just tried with the Last of the Mohicans Blu-ray.
BTW, excellent link, OP should definitely take a look there if he hasn't already, and bookmarked.

babyshark:


I don't have experience with that stuff, I would just convert to .flac, it's lossless and should encode the sound in an acceptable manner. I've done that for all my blu-rays (about 65, except 3 or 4 .ac3 sound track blu-rays) and the sound is great.
Weird. I am bitstreaming using ffdshow and MPC-HC, but the way dts-hd works, you should be able to default back to the dts core. There are open source decoders for dts so it should work just fine like that. If you don't bitstream then FLAC is the best way to go. I did that before I got my 5550 to preserve the lossless audio quality. The only problem with FLAC is compatibility, especially if you might wind up using some kind of streamer. Many boxes have trouble with 5.1 channel FLAC in mkv containers

Also, You're welcome for the link. I'll let the author know you liked it
 
thanks! any way to get the sound in DTSHD-MA or TrueHD? And is there any need to do that?

You don't need to get/install/pay anything extra to extract the HD audio from the discs. Eac3to should be able to extract the HD audio just fine. I do this for all my Blurays all the time. Just use .thd for TrueHD and .dtshd or .dtsma for DTS Master Audio.
 
Thanks everyone. Right now I'm attempting to take an episode of Mad Men and get it onto my computer so, hopefully, everything will go as easy as you guys make it out to be.

I'm using one of the GUIs that EAC3to mentioned on his website and it appears to be going ok.
I took the video track --> MKV
I took the DTSHD Master Audio --> .dtshd
and am now muxing them together with mkvmerge. I will let you guys know if .dtshd works or not
 
I use AnyDVD.

Drop the BluRay into BDInfo (free)
Add the PlayList from BDInfo to TsMuxer (free)
Demux what I want with TsMuxer
Then Remux it back into MKV using MKVMerge (free)

You will have to remove the decryption no matter what. So AnyDVD will be required for w/e you do.
 
Back
Top