• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Removing Zalman RAM Heatsinks

Brodel

Limp Gawd
Joined
Aug 22, 2005
Messages
140
Hey

I have a BFG 7800GT, If I mount a Zalman Vf-700 then it is going to void my warranty.. are the RAM heatsinks very difficult to get off once they are on? I can't decide if I should order one or not. It's a really loud card but at the same time I don't wan't to lose my warranty on such an expensive card.
 
Zalmans VF700 cooler is amazing! I installed one on my first 7800 GT and loved it so much I ordered another when I went SLi. The RAM heatsinks are not difficult to get off at all! It takes them about 48 hours to "set" once you install them (but you can use the card just fine) and after that, they remove with just a "twist!" Couldn't be any simpler. :p
 
AppaYipYip said:
Zalmans VF700 cooler is amazing! I installed one on my first 7800 GT and loved it so much I ordered another when I went SLi. The RAM heatsinks are not difficult to get off at all! It takes them about 48 hours to "set" once you install them (but you can use the card just fine) and after that, they remove with just a "twist!" Couldn't be any simpler. :p

oh really? I thought that they kinda fused themselves to the RAM somehow, I heard putting it in the freezer can help get them off but even then it is difficult.
Do you thinkI should go ahead and do it? I can always remove it and replace it with teh stock heatsink if it were to break for some reason couldn't I?

anyone else faced this dilemma? lol
 
It's the single best upgrade you could make for your card! It's not that difficult to do, just make sure you use a good thermal compound. If you are uncomfortable working on your electronics then I would ask yourself whether or not you could actually *do* it. :p

Otherwise, I find it very fun to work on my equipment in a safe manner. The heatsinks can be removed easily and you DO NOT have to put the card in a freezer! :eek:

Check my other thread for pics of a VF700 install I did, I've done it twice and its fun every time. All you do is twist them off,they are simply stuck on with thermal compound. Nothing gets *fused* and in fact, I've already taken one off, and put it back on with success after it's been on the card for weeks.
 
oh ok, yea I'm fine with fitting it, I just didn't want to completely void my warranty. If I can remove it all and replace the stock heatsink then I should be ok, I had heard that they were impossible to take off once they were on though.

Has anyone else found them easy to remove too?
 
The thermal tape on any Ramsink I have ever seen is a non-permanent solution. People who tell you to use the freezer is if they used thermal epoxy. Thermal tape has barely any strength to it. I would not worry about removing them...
 
J-Mag said:
The thermal tape on any Ramsink I have ever seen is a non-permanent solution. People who tell you to use the freezer is if they used thermal epoxy. Thermal tape has barely any strength to it. I would not worry about removing them...

ah ok, thanks. So if something were to happen it sould be pretty easy to replace the heatsink and return it without them knowing?.. or at least without it being obvious?

any other words of wisdom before I stick this thing on? :)
 
i usualy use the krazy glue trick for small heat sinks, four dots in corners, as5 in the middle, you can take em off without even freezing, then its a matter of getting some acetone to clean up the glue
 
the ram sinks come off easy enough, a twist or run the card for a few minutes.. shut the system down and then twist while its still warm
 
Back
Top