Removing Zalman Heatsinks (XFX)

Yaden

Gawd
I have two XFX 7800GTs and one has gone bad. XFX is good enough to replace it for me but want the stock cooler replaced on it (which I have). Problem is that for this card, I put on the following cooler...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835118001

The heatsinks for the RAM are essentially glued onto the chip after a year of use. I'm afraid if I force them off, XFX may balk at this since it could physically damage the card.

I am looking for ideas on how to get them removed at this point! I can post a pic if need be.

Are the sinks backed with a thermal tape and you just stick them to the RAM chips? If so, try dripping high % isopropyl alcohol (91% is a good start) onto the adhesive and apply gently pressure after awhile. The alcohol should eat through the adhesive. This method could take awhile, but it won't damage the card.

IIRC, the heatsinks had a "sticker" backing and I just stuck them on the chips. I remember them being fairly loose till I used the card for a bit and now they are on quite firmly. I have some isopropyl at home, so I will give that a try. I put this into my XFX support case and see what they think as well.

Also, while applying GENTLE and smooth pressure, you may want to try twisting motion, not pulling motion.

The Zalman ramsinks are held on with very thin thermal adhesive tape.

They can be removed by using a firm and steady twisting motion. If you want you can use a hair dryer to heat up the ramsinks just before removal, this will further soften the adhesive and make the removal a little easier. Remember, TWISTING motion... don't just pull straight off!

Thank you, I will keep that in mind.

Maybe I will need to borrow a hair dryer, seeing how I shave my head. ;)

Just wanted to follow up on this. The hair dryer worked perfectly, they came right off with a little twisting. Thankfully I kept the stock cooler, that is back on and I will be sending this into XFX now.

Back