Removing Win7 beta

xenotype

Gawd
Gentlmen,

I had XP MCE on my laptop (sig) for the longest time, and was interested in trying one of the windows 7 beta's (build 7028 i believe). I partitioned my C: drive so I could install it on its own partition for easy removal later. After a few weeks of playing around with it (it is peppy and nice looking, a lot cleaner than vista), I would like to remove it free up the space.

I can't find any reference to its installation on my C: drive's boot.ini and whatnot. I assume thats all on the D: drive. If I were to simply delete the partition, resize my C: drive to take over the space, will I have any remnants of the windows 7 beta anywhere? Or will I be back to where I started from, which is what I desire.

Thanks.

Windows Vista and Win7 don't use NTLDR and boot.ini anymore. They use a new bootloader that is stored in the \boot folder on the bootable partition. To revert back to XP's and be rid of Vista/Win7, you have to restore the correct MBR code that will read NTLDR and boot.ini instead of the new stuff. There are a few tools (such as easyBCD) that can do this for you.

I believe you can fix the XP bootloader simply by running fixmbr and fixboot from the recovery console on the XP installation CD.

I believe you can fix the XP bootloader simply by running fixmbr and fixboot from the recovery console on the XP installation CD.

Yeah, but I hate having to explain how to get to the recovery console. Maybe I'm just used to helping those unfortunate souls that aren't capable of such things. :p

Yeah, but I hate having to explain how to get to the recovery console. Maybe I'm just used to helping those unfortunate souls that aren't capable of such things. :p
What's there to explain? All you have to do is press R when prompted :confused:.

Back