removing virus

Duster

Supreme [H]ardness
ok so i have a virus it is not causing any problems (that i know about) but i want it gone. it is that virus that shuts down your computer in 53 secs thing. I beleave it is the winlogin under task manger, anyways i know it is here b/c i can kill one task and it will start up again i ran the remove blaster thing from microsoft and turned off the system restore and changed the RPC thing, the right one, not the login. And well the program that gets rid of it says it not here but i can still make it run. am i looking for the wrong virus remover? any help thanks

that is what i did the first time....

i was wondering if i was doing the right virus or if i had the name wrong

Originally posted by Duster
ok so i have a virus it is not causing any problems (that i know about) but i want it gone. it is that virus that shuts down your computer in 53 secs thing. I beleave it is the winlogin under task manger, anyways i know it is here b/c i can kill one task and it will start up again i ran the remove blaster thing from microsoft and turned off the system restore and changed the RPC thing, the right one, not the login. And well the program that gets rid of it says it not here but i can still make it run. am i looking for the wrong virus remover? any help thanks

Could ya maybe explain yourself a little clearer as to what exactly you did.

What task are you killing? Winlogin is a valid running process
What task is restarting?
What changes to RPC did you make?
How are you still getting the program (virus?) to run again?

It sounds like msblast. If you computer pops up the shutdown screen, then go to the dos prompt and type "shutdown -a" That will abort the shutdown (this is assuming you are running XP because I don't know if that works under 2000).

Here is the link for the removal tool.

well maybe i did remove it or something....... i used that tool that u link to kriegf but when i ran it it said no worm found so i though well darn that not it, so i didn't know what to do. but trying to make it happen again does not seem to happen so maybe it was removed... thanks for the help anyways

sigh.

Removing the worm is only part of the process. You NEED to install the patch from windowsupdate to remove the vulnerability that caused the issue to begin with, or you'll keep receiving the RPC shutdown calls.

Another way to prevent it is to put a router in between you and the internet. If you're plugged directly into your cable/dsl line then you're vulnerable.

Back