• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Removing touchscreen from NEC 90 monitors

Namelessme

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jan 3, 2012
Messages
1,161
I remember a bunch of people got those 2490s from eBay a little over a year ago, and they removed the touchscreens on them -- and am hoping someone can offer the best advice on how to go about it.

I recently purchased a NEC 2190uxp from eBay, and like my past attempts (this is my 3rd try), this one didn't exactly go as planned. The monitor was listed as a manufacturer refurb, but no mention of a touch screen added. Of course, it arrives, and first thing I notice is the ELO touchscreen DVD lying on top of the styrofoam as soon as I open it ... I knew I was in trouble right then.

Anyway, it has that glossy touchscreen thingy, and am wondering what is the best way to go about removing it? If attached by tape, I think it's doable. If it is attached by glue ... I think I am stuck. On my old broken 2190s, I did open them up, to see if they could be fixed (they couldn't), but I do recall just getting off the bezel was a major pain for me. And I couldn't get them back on perfectly again.

I first plan to make sure he even sent me the correct monitor. I expect he did, but he didn't realize that refurb/alteration by a touchscreen manufacturer isn't quite the same thing as what manufacturer refurb means. I have no idea how he couldn't notice a touchscreen had been added, as this thing is rather glossy. I get the worst of both worlds... grain from matte (albeit it's not heavy IPS grain, thankfully) + gloss from the touchscreen.
 
PM Vega, he will dematte any monitor for $99. not sure if he can remove the touchscreen but he is the man to talk to...
 
Thanks for the reply.

I expect he probably could do it, but this is sort of the opposite of de-matting ... it's de-glossing... kinda. For some reason a lot of NEC 90 monitors on eBay (usually 2490s) have touchscreens added to them. I guess many were used in retail at some point. It's sort of like a pale white piece of glass over a matte display... and pretty much just an annoying hindrance for home use.

And $99 + shipping costs both ways would end up being more than I even paid for this thing.
 
If I remeber right, it's just adhered around the edges of the metal frame. So you have to carefully pull it off the frame, trying not to bend the frame, as it will cause pressure on the LCD film layers, and cause backlight bleed.
 
If tape was used, I think most people used a putty knife to get it off. If glue ... not sure what people used, or if it's even possible to remove.

I am also not even sure if this touchscreen is the same type as what the 2490 people had. I guess I should just open it up and take a look. But I am not even sure what the best way is to get the bezel off, as last time I tried that, I caused a minor crack in one bezel, and never got them back on perfectly again. Those monitors were dead anyway, so no big loss, but I prefer not to damage this working one, if possible.

Overall, it has a nice picture, except for the glare/touchscreen issue. I did a little more research into its past history through NEC, and it was never in fact manufacturer refurbished (through NEC, anyway). And under the advanced menu, it had 2 hrs of recorded use time. So either it was a brand new one that had a touchscreen installed and sat in a warehouse for 2-3 years, or was used and had its usage clock reset. It has decent brightness and cosmetically it looks perfect, so it's possible I got a new one here ... just with that stupid touchscreen added.
 
After about 3 hrs or so, I finally got the touchscreen off. I think most of that time was just trying to figure out how to get the bezel off + disassemble the whole thing. It may have not been necessary, but I ended up removing the panel entirely to get the touchscreen off. Like the 2490 people, it was taped on... and messy.

After getting the glass off, it's evident how foggy/blurry it was. I noticed immediately how much clearer and brighter the screen looked after I got it off.

Anyway, one issue remaining is I couldn't get the top bezel and frame perfectly snapped together again. It's only a tiny gap, and I doubt anyone will ever notice it, but for those who removed touchscreens before, how do you get the top frame/bezel to snap back together again? That part of the case only has the two top screws, so I see no way to get the corners all even again.
 
Back
Top